Lowering a K1200S so that the Dragon can ride it - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2011, 8:37 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Lowering a K1200S so that the Dragon can ride it

Problem started when i bought my first K1200.. i loved it, she loved it
No problem you would think.. she sold her 696 Ducatti and wants to ride the K

Problem 2: She is only 5"2" and can not touch the floor, although she adores high heels refuses to wear them on the bike and drops it stationary nearly every time she rides it

I fixed problem 1 by buying her one of her own, identical to mine ( tags are His and Her's)

Not yet found a way to fix problem 2 ( note she is my 5th wife so while it could be an option i think ill pass on that one)

Put a Sargent seat on it which says it lowers it 1 inch.. ( they are taking the piss, its identical in height) changed the bars so she sits more upright, bought her thick soled boots, but we still need to lower it about 2 inches..

Any ideas, scarcastic, funny or plausible welcome

By the way just started this FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BMW-K...00396303328024

enjoy and add

Last edited by Philn; May 20th, 2011 at 8:39 pm. Reason: added URL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2011, 10:16 am
Enthusiast

First off, I would assume you have installed frame sliders by now...if not, good idea to reduce future damage? Second - maybe see if there is a 'custom bike' seat manufacturer in your area like Corbin here in CA. When I was in their shop a few years ago for my RS seat, there staff was constructing a seat for a custom low-riding big twin bike. The bike frame was very custom welded, so required a seat be made from scratch. The man placed some sort of wax paper or something similar on the tail end of the tank, down onto the frame tubes and back as far as he thought appropriate (going from memory but it was an interesting process to watch.) Next he started applying layers of a paint on fiber material with a brush applicator. He painted it on in the general shape of the intended seat pan. After each layer cured (20 minutes or so?) he put the next layer on. By the time I left, he had the pan for the seat formed such that he could pull it off and cut, grind, whatever to the final pan shape, then he would add the foam and a leather cover. Perhaps you could have this done. I always wanted to try it for my wife on her R1100R because we could never get it low enough for her. All seat folks (including the custom from Corbin) simply reduced the amount of foam padding on the pan and it was like sitting on a board. I have no idea how expensive or comfortable this might be, but that was how I recall Corbin build a custom pan/seat for a 'custom' big twin. (H-D)

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2011, 2:04 pm
Veteran

Contact Klaus and see if he can make custom suspension that will lower the bike. http://www.wilbersusa.com/aboutus.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2011, 2:14 pm
Noob

Did you lower the bike? If not, contact Works Performance. There is little that seat lowering can do for shorter inseams (may be 1 inch and lost the cushion).

http://www.worksperformance.com/html...s_bmw_esa.html
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2011, 3:36 pm

........stilettos?

kbikeinbc
07 kgt
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2011, 7:41 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

how in th hell d oes someone get to wife number five and not get one tall enough ?

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2011, 8:39 pm
Rookie

Dude,
You're in Jax. Sargent is there. Why not go over there and ask them to custom lower the seat?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2011, 3:57 pm
Noob

When I communicated with Klaus some time ago he suggested that it is "reasonable" to lower ride height by about 3/4" without significantly compromising handling. Have you yet explored ordering shorter shocks to lower the suspension?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2011, 4:07 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkatz
When I communicated with Klaus some time ago he suggested that it is "reasonable" to lower ride height by about 3/4" without significantly compromising handling. Have you yet explored ordering shorter shocks to lower the suspension?
I was talking to some one yesterday about lowering my bike and they said it would change the handling characteristics, inferring that it would be dangerous. But I wonder if an inch could cause that much of a difference? If you put a 140lb rider and then a 240lb rider on the same bike - wouldn't that change the ride height and handling also?

There is always lots of talk about the negative effects of lowering a bike, but I wonder how much of that is based on real science. I would think anyone setting up racing bikes would have a definitive answer. I would love to lower my bike an inch, but not if it's dangerous.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2011, 8:41 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootersteve77
I was talking to some one yesterday about lowering my bike and they said it would change the handling characteristics, inferring that it would be dangerous. But I wonder if an inch could cause that much of a difference? If you put a 140lb rider and then a 240lb rider on the same bike - wouldn't that change the ride height and handling also?

There is always lots of talk about the negative effects of lowering a bike, but I wonder how much of that is based on real science. I would think anyone setting up racing bikes would have a definitive answer. I would love to lower my bike an inch, but not if it's dangerous.

I lowered my R1150GS by 2 inches (front and back) and added a 2 inch riser to the bar and had no trouble riding it. I could not lean the bike as far as the stock set up which is not a bad thing. I just had to learn to lean my body out properly and I could keep up with other R bikes in the twisties. My understanding is that the taller the backend the faster the bike will turn. Since I don't ride at racing speeds around corners, I don't see a geometric problem with lowering the rear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode