k1200 high performance clutch - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2011, 1:49 pm Thread Starter
Noob

k1200 high performance clutch

Does anybody know if anyone makes a high performance clutch for the k1200 model bikes?and has the performance been worth the effort?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2011, 3:57 pm
JCW
contributor

What are you looking for in a high performance clutch?

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2011, 8:04 pm Thread Starter
Noob

My friend who has a 1200 also said that the dealer installed a 1300 clutch set in his bike,although i do not have a problem with mine i was wondering if this setup is more beefier than the stock replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2011, 1:30 pm
JCW
contributor

depends on what year your bike is.

BMW quietly upgraded the clutch basket and oil pump gear on the later model k1200 and continued on k1300. The newer clutch baskets have at least an antifriction coating on them and presumably are made with a harder metal as the older ones were getting grooved too easily.

I do have a STM slipper clutch but haven't run with it yet. That's a different and pretty much unknown quantity.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2012, 8:15 am
Rookie

Have you played with the STM Slipper Clutch yet? I am negotiating one, and still not sure what the trade off is for the extra $1K I'll be paying for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW
depends on what year your bike is.

BMW quietly upgraded the clutch basket and oil pump gear on the later model k1200 and continued on k1300. The newer clutch baskets have at least an antifriction coating on them and presumably are made with a harder metal as the older ones were getting grooved too easily.

I do have a STM slipper clutch but haven't run with it yet. That's a different and pretty much unknown quantity.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2012, 8:11 pm
JCW
contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoxer
Have you played with the STM Slipper Clutch yet? I am negotiating one, and still not sure what the trade off is for the extra $1K I'll be paying for it.
I maybe had a couple rides on it before my bike went into its hiatus.

For the track, aggressively downshifting made the back end greasy. With the slipper, I imagine the back end will be more planted.

On the streets, I usually don't ride that hard and probably wouldn't bother with it. I didn't notice any difference on my street rides (nor did I expect any).

I think someone else on the i-bmw site has recently reviewed his.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2012, 9:23 am
Enthusiast

I'm on my second 07 K1200S, and i've had clutch issues with both bikes. BMW replaced the entire assembly under warranty and good will the first time. Even though the bike was well out of warranty. Don't count on that. Both the first bike and now the second started having clutch issues around 19,000 miles. The clutch was an issue all along, but only got bad enough to be of concern at 19K. First bike clunked so hard going into gear it would scare cars at the intersection. Clunked really bad in all low speed situations. I know they all clunk, but this one was much worse than other bikes. Now, the newer S is having issues with excessive rattling at idle. May or may not be the clutch. Some seem to think it's the clutch basket, but others think it's the idleing assembly. I'll have to wait to tear it down to see what the problem is. For now, i'm just going to continue to run it.

My advise, just keep running your bike until you have a real issue. The clutch on a K bike clunks. You just have to deal with it. I have ONLY had issues at idle and low speed. The bike runs great as long as you're running it at a good pace. I still love the S. It has a few issues, but i sure hope BMW continues to develop the high speed, Sport Touring platform that the S occupies. NO, i don't want a heavy S with a 6 cylinder. (Unless it comes with 200+ hp :-) )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode