Would u still change oil annually if u do 1000 miles a year? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2011, 7:55 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Would u still change oil annually if u do 1000 miles a year?

Yeah, that's how little I get to ride my beautiful K1300S each year...

For my 2008 BMW car, I put 6,000 miles a year, and it's way below the mileage threashold for changing the oil according to the car, but I change it once a year anyway, as I've heard you should do so, and also, an annual oil change is free.

But I'm wondering, is it really worth it to change the oil once a year if I'm only doing like 2000 kmís a year? Oils nowadays last a lot longer.

And I wonder if they put synthetic oil in these bikes, in which case, maybe itís less of an issue even leaving it for like every two years?

09 Tri-colour K1300S with all the goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2011, 8:42 pm
Rookie

absolutely

I would change it only because of the condensation that will accumulate in the oil over a years time. Water in your oil creates acids that can harm the metals in your engine, that is the reason for the annual oil change. Besides, oil is cheap compared to an engine rebuild !

Michael
"How long am I going to be dead ?"
2007 K1200S
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2011, 9:57 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccroach
I would change it only because of the condensation that will accumulate in the oil over a years time. Water in your oil creates acids that can harm the metals in your engine, that is the reason for the annual oil change. Besides, oil is cheap compared to an engine rebuild !
What ccroach said. I am far from an expert, but I change my oil on my bikes every spring, even if it was changed shortly before putting the bike away for the winter. Maybe overkill, but I have never had an issue with even my low (annual) mileage bikes. Oil changes are relatively cheap insurance and only take a few minutes to complete.

"If you love your motorcycle let it go, if it comes back you've highsided"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2011, 11:02 pm
Enthusiast

I'd change it yearly, but wouldn't use an expensive synthetic. That would just paying for qualities you don't need.

1987 RED K75S
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2011, 2:31 am
Enthusiast

I'd change it every year and put fully syn in,were talking K1200/1300 is it really worth taking short cuts to save peanuts on what is a big bucks bike.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2011, 11:57 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks guys. Yes, I was thinking of doing it for exactly that reason (cheap insurance), but felt like it would be a waste of oil (and $100) with so little miles every year. I do plan on keeping this bike for a while though, so it might be worth it.

While I don't turn it on over the winter, it sits in a heated, dry garage during winter, and I leave it with a full tank of gas with gas stabilizer in it, as well as on a trickle charger. Next year I might turn it on once in a while too.

By default, is it synthetic these bikes get at the dealers / from factory? A lot of the BMW cars are synth now.

09 Tri-colour K1300S with all the goodies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode