K1X00S for town/track? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2011, 5:27 pm Thread Starter
DrD

K1X00S for town/track?

My main ride is an '08 K1200GT. I have the track bug and I recently sold my town/track bike because I NEED more power. It was a heavily modded Ducati Monster 696. I am a bit over 6' with long arms and legs, so most RR bikes are not good for more than 20 minute track sessions. Maybe a used K1300S, or K1200S? So,

1) Would a K1300S, or K1200S, be suitable for this? I think so.
2) Which bike would be more suitable?
3) What needs to be done to the bike for the track?
4) Any years, or issues, that I need to avoid for either?

Thanks.

When in doubt, apply more throttle.
2008 K1200GT, Dark Graphite, "#4, the Dancing Hippo"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2011, 1:01 pm
Addict

I wouldn't look at a KS for the track. The weight of the bike is a joy kill on the track when not going straight. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with taking the KS/R out on the track if you already own one but seeing as you already have a GT, I would look at something else. I'm way happier on my SV650 than my K1200R on the track due to its light weight. The SV is also easier on the wallet when it's sliding down the pavement.

If you liked the Monster but it didn't have enough power, how about an Aprilia Tuono? It should easily fit your size and is a big jump in power over the 696 while still being about 100lbs lighter than a K1200S.

James

’06 K1200R Corbin w/ smuggler, Wilbers shocks, PCIII, Factory Pro Dyno tuned, CC Suspension plates, Vario levers, Dual Evo filters, Leo Vince SBK, V1, Zumo 550

’02 WR250F Stock

’99 SV650 GSX-R front end, Aftershocks suspension, Penske shock, 41mm FCR flat slides, Bridgestone slicks, M4 exhaust, Vortex clipons, Woodcraft rearsets, Hot Bodies race bodywork, Factory Pro clutch cover, Total Loss ignition, BRG relocated battery, APE Adjustable Cam sprockets, JE 13:1 pistons, mild porting, balanced crank, Sunoco 110 race fuel

’98 KLX331 Race Tech suspension, 331 Stroker big bore kit, 33mm pumper, Tag bars, Stroker exhaust, IMS desert tank, tall seat foam w/ Stroker cover, Open air box, KX clutch
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2011, 7:59 pm
JCW
contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait
I wouldn't look at a KS for the track. The weight of the bike is a joy kill on the track when not going straight. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with taking the KS/R out on the track if you already own one but seeing as you already have a GT, I would look at something else. I'm way happier on my SV650 than my K1200R on the track due to its light weight. The SV is also easier on the wallet when it's sliding down the pavement.
Agreed without a lot of mods and money the k12 is not a serious track bike. Semi serious maybe, but as mentioned above the enjoyment factor is quickly replaced by fatigue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait
If you liked the Monster but it didn't have enough power, how about an Aprilia Tuono? It should easily fit your size and is a big jump in power over the 696 while still being about 100lbs lighter than a K1200S.
Is the ducati streetfighter too small for you?

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2011, 5:11 am Thread Starter
DrD

If I go with Ducati again, then I would look at the Monster 1100 EVO. That is a serious Monster.

When in doubt, apply more throttle.
2008 K1200GT, Dark Graphite, "#4, the Dancing Hippo"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode