Helibars, removing controls? HELP - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2011, 7:58 am Thread Starter
Noob

Helibars, removing controls? HELP

I purchased a set of Helibars to install on my K1300S. The directions from Helibars are poor. Did some searching here, but can't find any information on removing the button controls. Has anyone done this install and can help me out? The inside of the controls look pretty intense and I don't want to mess them up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 12:15 am
Miles to go...

Heli install

I installed them on my 06 K12S and they were the first thing I added to my '10 K13S. Both installs were very easy and no issues with switches. I do recall replacing a cable tie under the right side fairing to free up cable movement. Takes about 1-2 hours.

Cheers
Don
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 8:25 am Thread Starter
Noob

Finished the install. The clutch side grip and controls would not come off at first. There was a clear piece of film placed under the control pod that was holding it on. Basically there is a screw and nut that passes through the bar holding the control grip assembly in place. The right side was pretty straight forward and didn't present any problems. The directions could be a little more helpful for someone that has never taken BMW controls apart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 10:25 pm
Miles to go...

Mods

Archer,
most of the instructions for the aftermarket stuff I've added as well as some of the BMW add-ons leave a lot to be desired. Bikes just aren't as easy to work on as they used to be. My wife has a new Triumph Street Triple R. Their instructions are pretty good, pull them up online by part #. The problem with this bike ('12 model) is they can't get me the correct parts to match the instructions, third trip back tomorrow for another fly screen.

Wait till you put on the centerstand.

cheers
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 3:20 am

BMW strongly advises against opening up the switchgear on the handlebars for the 1300 and on. They claim splitting the housing will damage the switches.

The challenge for 3rd part suppliers for handlebars for these bikes is that the switchgear is actually fastened to the handle, and you pull it of as one unit. The cables are plugged into the switchgear, and the connectors are hidden behind a cover, facing the center of the bike.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2011, 11:01 am Thread Starter
Noob

You wouldn't know that based on the instructions from HeliBar. They tell you to open up the switch gear. I found a small sticker across the control case where it splits. Common sense told me if I took it off or cut it, the warranty would probably be voided. At the time I was searching for the reason why the whole assembly wouldn't come off. Once you do the install everthing seems so simple, but not the case if you have never worked on BMW controls. I think removing the small cover in my situation did relieve pressure of the case on the thin piece of film.

For anybody doing this install on a 2011 K1300S: I don't think there is any harm in removing the small cover, but don't split the main control case or remove the little sticker. Remove the nut and bolt holding the grip to the bar. Then just work the grip and pull at the same time. The whole assembly will come free.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode