Pilot Power or Z6. Yes,....again.... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
View Poll Results: Which tires for the S for everyday road use?
Sportec M1 7 11.48%
Metzler Z6 19 31.15%
Michelin Pilot Sport 12 19.67%
Other 7 11.48%
Michelin Pilot Road 10 16.39%
Bridgestone BT-014 or BT-020 3 4.92%
Michelin Pilot Power 3 4.92%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 1:01 pm Thread Starter

Pilot Power or Z6. Yes,....again....

I know we talk about tires all the time on these forums but fresh opinions are always welcome! With the KS only having been out around a year or so, I expect there would be fresh opinions on tires (among other things) all the time.

With that said, I'd really like to hear more opinions on the Pilot Power and the Z6. Those are the two tires I'm considering as replacements to my BT-014's. I've been on BT-014 for 1500 miles and so far I'm very happy with them. I figure the rear will be shot around the 4k or less mark. The center for sure. The slab here in SoCal has rain grooves which help flat-spot the center quickly. Unfortunately, the slab is a necessary means to where you really want to go.

The KS/KR riders I know are using and are very pleased with the Pilot Power. So much so that I will probably go with Pilot Power when I re-skin my KS. Average milage on the rear Pilot Power seems to be in the 3-4K range like the BT-014. The KRS and R bike riders I know seem to like the Z6.

Pilot Power is probably the best tire for me here in San Diego but it seems your lucky to get more than 3000 miles out of a rear.
I would prefer to get closer to 5000 miles out of the rear. I know that means a harder compound which comes at a price in terms of grip but if you're only getting 5 to 6K miles out of a tire it's probably a relatively soft tire with good grip and few compromises anyway.

I'm thinking the Z6 is designed to be a Sport Touring Tire and that most of the top of the line tires made today (assuming they're in good shape with proper pressures maintained) are beyond the capability of the average rider and most of us (well me at least) don't use near 100% of the grip that todays good tires are capable of on the road anyway. So why pay for what you don't take advantage of?

The Z6 may give the best compromise between wet and dry grip and longevity. Even though the Z6 may have a little less grip than the Pilot Power, I suspect I wouldn't notice it for use on the road even on a spirited ride, leaned over and controlled powering out of the turns. The track is a different story and I'm sure the Pilot Power would prevail in that enviroment.

So, what do you think? Is the Z6 the tire for everyday use on the KS or is the Grip of the Pilot Power worth replacing it more often and the extra money? Hummmm?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 1:41 pm
Veteran

My Pilot Powers are almost shot.. I'm going to try out Pilot Roads. Loved the Roads on my KRS, and I've never been a Metzeler fan.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 1:46 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik
My Pilot Powers are almost shot.. I'm going to try out Pilot Roads. Loved the Roads on my KRS, and I've never been a Metzeler fan.
What's your issue with Metzeler?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 2:14 pm
Enthusiast

I have a couple more rides left in my second Sportec M1 rear, 1st front, and then will switch to a set of Z6's to give them a try.

05 K1200S Blue (street bike)
01 996 Yellow (trackbike)
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 5:02 pm
Veteran

I've had several out of round tires in the past. And I don't much care for the rear of the Z6. I hear too many people complain about thinking the tire is good then..bang tires shot. Just me, I'm sure the Z6 is a fine tire, but since I have a choice I'll stick with Michelin.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 7:57 pm

I've had both on my R1100S, and I think the PP is the way to go. Not only do the PPs perform as well/better than anything I've had, they actually last a lot longer than other sport tires (D208s, Diablos, M1s) I've used. And they keep a better profile on the front, too. Utimate grip notwithstanding, I like the feel better on the sport tires. The miles on my PPs may have been a little easier than the ones I put on the Z6s, but for me they lasted just as long.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 10:06 pm
Veteran

Tyres

I have had both. I am staying with the Road Attack
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2006, 5:33 am

Metzler

Metzler M3, replacement for M1 will be out this month.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2006, 8:00 am

I've worn thru D208's, M1's and am now riding on Z6's and the difference in handling is minimal with the latter installed. I definitely noticed, right away, that the Z6's were a TAD stiffer, less sticky, but again, it was almost negligable and if I can squeeze significantly more wear out of them I'll be happy with the trade. They're worth trying out...that said, I'll probably go back to the D208's next time around.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2006, 9:23 am

I found that the handling characteristics of the Z6 and Pilot ROADS were about the same when new, on a K/RS. However, the Z6 went off in a hurry and I couldn't tell how much tire was remaining. When worn some, the rear felt like I had a flat or loose bearings...really weird and terrible handling in a cross wind. So I dumped them probably earlier than I really needed to...never to try them again! Had great luck with the ROADS and still use them on my 1150RT. I get about 4K around here with little slab and riding on the aggressive side mostly 2-up. Love the Pilot POWER on the S and getting a bit better wear than the M1 but I'm guessing 3K at max as compared to 2-2.5K on the M1. The Power has a noticably softer feel than the Roads...but both still give good feedback.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode