K1300S Hot day starting problems - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2011, 11:15 pm Thread Starter
Noob

K1300S Hot day starting problems

New BMW owner. I'm hoping forum members might have some insight on this problem.

Back in July 2011 I bought a ’09 K1300S white/silver color w/3K miles on it. Since then I discovered on 3 occasions that if my bike sits in hot direct sun, or worse yet covered with a black stretch cover in hot direct sun… it won’t start. Won’t start means the computer won’t finish its self-check (ie., no yellow or red triangles displayed) , no fuel pump buzz and click, starter switch does nothing.

I’ve been assured by the local shop that my bike has its right switch upgrade completed and latest SW upgrade.

The third time this happened I moved the bike to a shaded spot and 5 minutes later it started. As I remember only the front of the bike was shaded. I know there is a temperature probe in there somewhere, do I have to carry Freon and spray that temp probe for hot day starting?

Anyone else experience this problem? If you did, any solutions from your dealer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2011, 9:51 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I did some searching and found that my problem is probably the right switch assy being faulty. It has supposedly been replaced by a recall notice, but maybe even that unit is bad. Here is what I found on another site:

"Personally I've had no problems with the hot starting but a number of people generally in hot countries have. Usually they have parked the bike up in full sun come to the bike and it won't start. I believe it is a switch issue and some members have managed to start their bikes by pouring a cup of water over the starter switch. Not ideal fix but gets you home.
Take it to the dealer and get them to change switch gear under warranty."

http://www.bmwk1200s.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=3&t=15261

http://bmwk1200s.com/forum/viewtopic...=14175&p=96600

Time to talk to the dealer about a warranty switch replacement at my 6K service.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2011, 9:22 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Switch swapout fixed the problem

This weekend my bike decided to not start – AGAIN – but this time I was only a few blocks from the dealer. I pushed it over only to discover that no fault was recorded. Seems the switch needs to work for the self-check to complete and the computer to fully boot. They finally showed me some mercy and changed out the switch on warranty. $380 USD switch + ˝ hour labor. No starting problems the remainder of the weekend – FINGERS CROSSED!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2012, 8:01 pm
Noob

Same problem on K1200GT - 2008 model

Got the same problem on my K1200GT - 2008 model.

When I bought it in 2009, would ride from work for approx. 1 hour in heavy traffic then stop at petrol station would not start. Live in Sydney quite hot in Summer and heavy traffic. Had to leave for approx 15 minutes before it would start.

After several months of going back to the dealer, I took it to another dealer who seemed to fix it. That dealer said he just serviced the bike and made sure the software was up to date.

Bike has been good for over a year, now problem is back in 2012.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2012, 9:49 am
Noob

Optimisation of hot starting K1200GT/K1300GT

Service information (South Africa) No. 20/2011

Wiring harness BMW Part No, 12 41 8 532 735 plus relay required. $(US) 150-00.

Defect Code: 61 11 01 79 00 Complete engine wiring harness - incorrect connection/contact fault.

FRU number: 61 11 003

If your sevices are up to date this is free of charge.

Your dealer should be able to advise.

Trust you come right.

Will report next week after my bike is done.

Regards, WallieD
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2012, 10:57 am
Enthusiast

Be aware that you are talking about 2 diffrent issues in this thread, the original poster has a handlebar switch problem, the documented "Hot Start" issue which WallieD is talking about is a totally different issue and tends to manifest itself as though you have a flat battery and the engine wont quite turn over.

Tim
------------------

2011 K1300GT
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2012, 7:45 pm
Addict

I just received my 2006 K12S back from Cairns BMW yesterday after having a centre stand fitted (must have item). The BMW Tech commented on the works form that my bike also seems to have a hot start issue. Not not starting, but hesitance. I would describe it as not bursting into life. Not a major issue. He commented that the fix is a heavier grade cable to the starter in the loom and it is an easyish fix. It is apparently a well know K1200S issue. It is obviously not the same issue as the original post, but may be of interest to others.
Best wishes all.

Ken

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 2:02 pm

Thank you Baytown. Mine does the same thing. Might to check that out
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2015, 10:33 am
Noob

Hi Wallie

Why was the wiring harness on your bike replaced?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2015, 10:54 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special-K
Be aware that you are talking about 2 diffrent issues in this thread, the original poster has a handlebar switch problem, the documented "Hot Start" issue which WallieD is talking about is a totally different issue and tends to manifest itself as though you have a flat battery and the engine wont quite turn over.
Indeed. Two distinct issues here. Both are documented. First one is the recall on switch gear. That is a recall and all are replaced with a design change and are not charged to do. Second is the Hot Start thing. This one has to be verified by dealer then bmw will authorize the dealer to install a secondary harness from starter relay to starter. This is a flaw in the gauge of the orig wire that when it gets hot reduces volts to starter mimicking a low battery. I had this issue and additional harness solved the problem. They also replaced my switches under recall although I hadn't had a problem there. If you want to know, the orig switch gear used a tiny printed circuit board that tended to crack and fail. The new design changed to a tiny flexible ribbon circuit that shouldn't break/ crack as it is flexible.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode