new or used - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2011, 8:18 pm Thread Starter
Noob

new or used

After much consideration I have decided to come back to the K bikes. I looking to buy a K1300s. I usually buy a slightly used bike because I tend to sell them every year and move on to a new one. This time I think I'm going to buy the 1300 and hold it for a while. There does not seem to be much price difference in a new or used k1300 . Have u found that to be the case? How many of u decided to buy used instead of new and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2011, 11:11 am
Addict

When I traded my 2006KS in for a new 2011 in Nov 2010 (only had planned on having some service done on the 06 when I went to the dealer), I was looking at a really nice 09 with a GPS mounted there on the showroom floor, had a real nice can and my fav color (granite)....the color I liked best.

but when I took the price of the 09 into account, plus having several problems with my 06 over the time I owned it, I decided to go with the only new 2011 they had on the floor which was the tri-color blue. Ok, its grown on me but.....

BMW had good rates on new and they offered me a decent price on a trade-in, so I rode the new bike out.

Its a tuff call. Knowing the problems I had on the 06 (2 transmissions, final drive, brake issues, drivability issues, clutch at 40k miles, cam chain-bent valves etc at 69k miles, bike was in the shop nearly a year out of the 4 yrs I owned it since new), I would not buy an older bike (the 09 was the earliest I would consider used), at least the near-first year models.

fast foward to my 2011....out of 3 brand new BMW bikes starting Oct 2002 (one K1200LT, K1200S, K1300S), this 2011 KS is the ONLY bike besides my 2001 Yamaha FZ1, that has required NO warrenty service......amazing!!

I put 27k miles on the 1300S in less than 6 months, it has about 28-29k on it now (in MI so I don't ride as much now). And it runs better than new, everything works, this is more like it!!

So tuff call. I use my bikes for cars (just bought my first cage in 6 yrs) so i view 'new' a bit differently. If I had time to do my own work and not using the bike as daily transpo, I'd consider used. Or if it was more of a hobby, I'd go used.

Beemers are funny. they seem to break in the first 30-40k miles. My LT didn't run good until it hit 40k miles and just got better all the way to 135k miles when I trashed it (of course it returned the favor and trashed me as well LOL)..
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 12:13 am
Noob

Try to look at my website if you really want to buy new K bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 7:27 am
Enthusiast

My opinion - If you can afford it always by new.

Peace of mind with the warranty, most manufacturers usually work out kinks as time goes on, and most importantly, you know if the has been abused because you did it.

Mike

2011 T100 Bonneville Black
06 Black Griso
06 Yellow KR - SOLD
02 Z-Rex (Green of course)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 7:41 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjptexas
My opinion - If you can afford it always by new.

Peace of mind with the warranty, most manufacturers usually work out kinks as time goes on, and most importantly, you know if the has been abused because you did it.
i agree with this if you can afford it,but also if you research a used bike good ,find out it's history,you cant go wronf either ,and all the bugs aswell as the depreciaition is gone ,good luck

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 9:35 pm
Noob

So i prefer you should buy a new one. You don't know the history of a used one.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2012, 2:31 am
Enthusiast

In 42 years of biking think I've had 3 or 4 bikes new,the rest have been secondhand,my K was bought with 1800 miles on the clock,never seen a rainy day or even a bucket of water for that matter,my normal line 'I don't want a bike thats been well cleaned I want one thats never been dirty' worked well for me and saved 1000's.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2012, 7:21 am
Addict

ya i think beemers are the exception also ,most of us that buy them generally take great care of them ,it's not like your buying a busa or a dirt bike.....or a s1000r

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2012, 12:55 pm
Del
Noob

if there isn't much of a price difference get the new one.

Del
05K12S
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2012, 9:28 am
Rookie

I would never buy a used bike unless I knew exactly WHO owned it before and had the whole service history on this bike. Once these bikes start getting older, they start to have issues. If you don't know who has been riding it, servicing it, caring for it prior to you, you never know what you are going to get. Repairs on these bikes aren't cheap. You could end up spending just as much in repairs as if you had purchased a new bikes with a 3 year or more warranty.

Good luck on your decision....

Bobby

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode