Is the K1300S the BEST bike on the planet? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2011, 9:07 am Thread Starter
Addict

Is the K1300S the BEST bike on the planet?

I had to ask. Busting thru a few other forums here and there (they aren't much busier than this one lately), seems like anyone who rides a K1300S, buys one.

I guess I'm one of those riders at this point, wondering if there really is anything better. Of course I've had zero issues with this bike, unlike my shop-prone 2006 K1200S previously.

And it has all the goodies, I didn't have ESA before but I'm now hooked, don't much care what the replacement shocks cost.

But now I find out there is a HP K1300S available and I want one, sniff. Why? at my age I have no idea other than a quick suicide!

I know each rider is different in many ways, I always tell folks buy what you need for the mission you intent to complete, vacations, racing, all of the above, et el. I like all kinds of bikes (even harleys but I wouldn't buy one), but I dunno if the K13S can bee beat.

If it can, I may be the first person in line to buy it but don't see that happening for a very long time. ps...no K1600S please, thats just way overkill. I'm glad I'm not in jail already
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2011, 9:33 am
Enthusiast

From what's been released about the HP K13S, it's really just fluff. Anyone can easily do more to their current ride. No real performance gains. Adding CF doesn't make it faster. I should know. I have just about every aftermarket CF piece made on mine.

Want to make it better? Bump it to 1400 with the same slant 4 motor. Add another 25 RWHP, minimum, and 25 ftlbs of torque. FIX THE CLUTCH. ADD CRUISE CONTROL. How about an ALL black model? (high gloss black) Tri colors make me dizzy. :-)

I just hope that BMW doesn't think any S rider is ever going to switch to a version of the new 6. While we don't want BMW to make the S into a mini, like the RR, we don't want to see it grow either. Please keep one bike that's big enough for Americans to ride. The world isn't populated by Japanese and Italians.

Don't worry about the extra power. They only go as fast as you want them to. Some of us would like to go faster. Be nice to keep up with the new ZX14R,
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2011, 1:11 pm
JCW
contributor

The Honda VFR gets fairly good reviews and looks to be just as quick. Horsepower numbers on head to head tests look very similar.

Personally, I like the K13S' looks over the Honda's, but its hard to dismiss a bike from Honda.

Pricewise, they are amazing close.

The kicker for me is the duolever/paralever. Despite being criticized by nearly every review, I prefer the duolever to the conventional forks. If they could continue development a little more and engineer even more "sportiness" into the design, I'd be VERY pleased.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2011, 6:22 am Thread Starter
Addict

Agree on the HP but it sho' is purty!!! they say about a 35% savings buying the HP over aftermarket costs. I think its the looks of the paint job combo they have with the carbon fiber, looks awesome.

The VFR was competition for my choice of a sport touring bike. I sat on it, luved it and all but I knew the K13S would be much better for long distance, for me at least. I do hate red though

I ride fast sometimes but I don't race so my preference with the suspension is the same, I like the BMW ride for my style of riding. Not that my forked-bikes weren't a lotta fun but using a bike daily instead of a cage, the BMW is what I bought

trying to be practical here, LOL....its a hard override at times! I really wanted the 1000, sat on that and knew better right quick
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2011, 10:37 am
Noob

I love my K1300S. I've only had it a few months and never had a bike I enjoyed riding this much.

I also have an old Honda VFR and looked very closely at the new VFR1200 - but there are too many things about it I just don't like. And it seems I'm not alone as dealers everywhere are discounting them like crazy and they are still not selling very well. Honda lost quite a few VFR fans when they introduced that bike, leaving them stranded to look elsewhere for a replacement for the old 800. I love the Honda V4 with it's low center or gravity but just couldn't live with the looks and the color of the 1200. I also think they are out of their league once they got into BMW's price territory.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2011, 11:51 am
JCW
contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootersteve77
I also think they are out of their league once they got into BMW's price territory.
Maybe not out of their league, but the sales numbers become much lower at that price point that maybe Honda didn't expect.

Honda builds great bikes. I read somewhere that their paint on the VFR1200 is much higher quality than the standard motorcycle paint job. Not just subjective but some type of objective measure.

Their attention to detail is great and something BMW should emulate.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2011, 6:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW
Honda builds great bikes. I read somewhere that their paint on the VFR1200 is much higher quality than the standard motorcycle paint job. Not just subjective but some type of objective measure.
I think they mount the parts in a 'shaker' that shakes the parts while painting in order to increase the 'float' of the paint. This allegedly makes the painted surface extra smooth.

I have never seen any technical comparison, but looking at the bike, the paint looks good, (and the K13S looks even better)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2011, 10:35 pm
JCW
contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by knutk
I think they mount the parts in a 'shaker' that shakes the parts while painting in order to increase the 'float' of the paint. This allegedly makes the painted surface extra smooth.

I have never seen any technical comparison, but looking at the bike, the paint looks good, (and the K13S looks even better)
You're right. Here it is in this article...

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs...out-89414.html

A smooth paint finish is desirable on any vehicle, and it’s especially critical on a motorcycle’s fuel tank because its proximity to the rider is, literally, under his nose. Honda’s new process in which painted components are sprayed while being gently shaken yields an amazingly smooth surface. Below are some stats claimed by Honda. For reference, a value of 0 (zero) is as smooth as glass.

Comparing Paint Smoothness
Honda Civic 7.0
Older Honda motorcycle fuel tanks 6.6
Honda Accord 4.7
Lexus 3.0
Harley-Davidson 1.7
New high-end Honda motorcycle tanks 0.8

We were given a first-hand look at this technology when we visited Honda’s Kumamoto factory in Japan last fall. We were presented with three fuel tanks – from an older Honda cruiser, a Harley and a new Honda cruiser – which we inspected under magnification. Indeed, the new Honda’s tank was visibly glassier than the Harley’s. Very impressive.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 2011, 9:05 am Thread Starter
Addict

Veewwwyyy interesting....

I thought BMW had/has some of the nicest paint, if not the nicest, I've ever seen.

Your chart may show just how bad my eyes really are

I paid for an awesome tour of the new BMW factory in Leipzig, GE. they build the one series and another series I can't remember (its not the 335's).

We got to tour the whole place in detail (thanks for the great english from our tour guide Manfred!!)....except the paint shop!

What they said was, the whole paint plant was sealed off so we watched a video in the lobby. There are something like 17 steps via a 48 hr process (appx, I'm also going senile) to apply paint. Its all recyclable stuff (they use ostrich feathers to clean the white bodies).

They constantly work toward better processes but stated they have optimized the paint process to the maximum to get the paint jobs they demand on their cars.

I always thought the MC paint was pretty good too, I wonder if the application process is simliar to the automotive processes they use.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 2011, 4:37 pm
Noob

BMW's are expensive to buy/own and kind of quirky (in a good way) . I had a couple of them several years ago and swore them off for good. But always kept being drawn back.

Last month I got rid of my Busa (great bike) and an 8 month old HD (nice to look at, horrible suspension and not my crowd).

Absolutely love the K13S, if it had cruise control it would be near perfect for me.

It has stalled a few times and I'll have the dealer look at it when it gets the initial service. The service manager advised to use Shell Premium since it doesn't contain any ethanol. But even with the stalling I would buy it again without a second thought.

2011 K1300S - Magma Red

Previous Bikes:
2011 HD Road King
2008 Suzuki Hayabusa
2002 Honda Goldwing
2001 Suzuki Hayabusa
2000 Yamaha Vmax
1998 BMW K1200RS
1988 BMW K100RS
1985 Honda V65 Sabre
1982 Honda V45 Magma

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode