New member researching K13S - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2012, 7:58 am Thread Starter
Noob

New member researching K13S

Hello all. I am doing research on the K1300 S. I currently own a 2003 Honda VFR 800 that I use for commuting and sport touring. I am looking to replace it next year with either another VFR or a K 13 S. I love the looks of the BMW and have seen several kitted out for touring. However I am disheartened to read posts about replacement shocks and starting issues on these bikes.
I would like to gather a consensus, are these issues isolated or are there some issues with these bikes?
What should one look for in year models?
Service Bulletins?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2012, 5:59 pm
Noob

I just 'upgraded' from a 2004 VFR to a K13S in December. I really loved the VFR and put about 25,000 miles on it in the 5 years I owned it (bought it used), mostly commuting. I was looking for something newer, and while I've been a 'Honda guy' forever, the new VFR just didn't do it for me. Mainly in the looks department.
So searching around, just like you I also noticed the K1300S. I was looking for a new/leftover 2011 when a slightly used 2010 showed up at a dealer nearby. With only 5100 miles on it and almost 2 years left on the warranty, plus a great price compared to new, I snapped it up.

Like you said, it can be outfitted to be a very practical sport tourer and commuter bike. I put the BMW sport panniers, tank bag, and center stand on it to make it my idea of a decent sport-tourer, with the emphasis on the 'sport'.

So now, 3500 miles later, all I can say is I am VERY happy with it! I've been commuting on it almost every day, thanks to the very mild Winter we've had. I did the 6000 mile service myself with the help of a GS-911, and just replaced the tires (OEM Metzeler M3's) with some Michelin Pilot Road 2's. The handling is exceptional. Power is way, WAY more than the VFR, as you might imagine. I joined the local BMW owner's club and have been out with them on some great rides. I've put 3500 miles on it since Christmas. While that short time and miles hardly makes me a K-bike expert, I've been following all of the relevant forums and I've been reading all I can about it.
Yes, the ESA shocks may fade at around 25,000 miles or so. But I am anticipating that some company will soon come up with a reasonable option to rebuild the stock shocks rather than having to pay out the wazoo for replacement BMW units (I would rather go the Ohlins or Wilbers route and maybe give up the ESA if I have to).
I don't know what you're saying about starting issues, unless you've read something about early units (2009) that needed the handlebar switchgear replaced?

All I can say is - do it, man, you will not regret it!

Rod
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2012, 10:31 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodon
I just 'upgraded' from a 2004 VFR to a K13S in December. I really loved the VFR and put about 25,000 miles on it in the 5 years I owned it (bought it used), mostly commuting. I was looking for something newer, and while I've been a 'Honda guy' forever, the new VFR just didn't do it for me. Mainly in the looks department.
So searching around, just like you I also noticed the K1300S. I was looking for a new/leftover 2011 when a slightly used 2010 showed up at a dealer nearby. With only 5100 miles on it and almost 2 years left on the warranty, plus a great price compared to new, I snapped it up.

Like you said, it can be outfitted to be a very practical sport tourer and commuter bike. I put the BMW sport panniers, tank bag, and center stand on it to make it my idea of a decent sport-tourer, with the emphasis on the 'sport'.

So now, 3500 miles later, all I can say is I am VERY happy with it! I've been commuting on it almost every day, thanks to the very mild Winter we've had. I did the 6000 mile service myself with the help of a GS-911, and just replaced the tires (OEM Metzeler M3's) with some Michelin Pilot Road 2's. The handling is exceptional. Power is way, WAY more than the VFR, as you might imagine. I joined the local BMW owner's club and have been out with them on some great rides. I've put 3500 miles on it since Christmas. While that short time and miles hardly makes me a K-bike expert, I've been following all of the relevant forums and I've been reading all I can about it.
Yes, the ESA shocks may fade at around 25,000 miles or so. But I am anticipating that some company will soon come up with a reasonable option to rebuild the stock shocks rather than having to pay out the wazoo for replacement BMW units (I would rather go the Ohlins or Wilbers route and maybe give up the ESA if I have to).
I don't know what you're saying about starting issues, unless you've read something about early units (2009) that needed the handlebar switchgear replaced?

All I can say is - do it, man, you will not regret it!

Rod

Great to hear the report Rod. I too have been in the Honda camp since I was a small one (Z50A at 7 years old). It will be hard to move away but the VFR1200 just isn't going to cut it for me.
Thanks again for the feedback.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode