Advice needed - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2012, 1:33 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Advice needed

I am 43 yrs old and have had sport bikes all my life and after a 300 mile ride on my 2009 R1 this weekend I realized that bike is not going to work for rides like that as my body was messed up the next day. I have always loved the looks of the BMW and am considering a k1200S or a K1200R and am curious which one is better for my needs? I want something comfortable enough that I can ride all day and not be sore the next. Is this a good fit for me as I still want something with some power but more importantly comfort.

-Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2012, 2:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrich49132
I am 43 yrs old and have had sport bikes all my life and after a 300 mile ride on my 2009 R1 this weekend I realized that bike is not going to work for rides like that as my body was messed up the next day. I have always loved the looks of the BMW and am considering a k1200S or a K1200R and am curious which one is better for my needs? I want something comfortable enough that I can ride all day and not be sore the next. Is this a good fit for me as I still want something with some power but more importantly comfort.-Ray
Disclaimer: I've never ridden a R1.

The BMW bikes you mentioned are or can be considered as having extreme sport bike ergonomics. I've done several 300 mile days on my K12s and always feel it at the end of the day.....but then again I'm 55 with bad knees.

Assuming you employ a good riding posture and understand sport bike ergos I recommend that you also look into making sure your riding garments fit well and are appropriate for the type of riding you like to do. I suggest this because there's one simple piece of clothing I swear by and that's my Aerostitch riding underwear. They look a lot like what bicycle racers wear only they're cut differently. You'd be surprised at how fatigued you can get by wearing cotton-based skivvies on a long day.

Aside from that but of advice I suggest you find someone near you with these types of bikes and pick their brains.

Good luck on your decision!

Regards,
Randy
'02 RT nacht black
'05 Ducati ST3 black
'06 K12S bumble bee
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2012, 5:13 pm
Enthusiast

The S and the R will be less extreme than the R1. Each will have its own better and worse qualities, but both will likely be more comfortable on a long ride than the R1, though not as sporty or fast? Both have plenty of power, though very different ergos. But a 300 mile ride is a 300 mile ride. If you are 'in shape' for it, no problem. That would be by either doing lots of riding and building up the stamina of the associated muscles, etc, or by keeping in shape in other ways. When I used to work out 4-5 days a week, I was always the last person off the track at our annual track day, then rode home, . I am not in that type of shape anymore and my 185 miles to Sac in the morning and then back to Mendo in the evening sort of gets to me, especially this time of year when I have not ridden much. But, there is a difference even between my RS and my S, different muscles are tight the next day depending on which I ride. By the end of the summer, neither will bother me even without doing any other conditioning. But if I get off my arse and workout again....it all should be better much sooner. (57, 5' 11", 180 lbs)

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2012, 12:26 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I know they wont be as fast as the R1 now as light but that is ok. As for being in shape i am actually in very good shape but the riding position on the R1 is very aggressive. What I want is a bike that is still sporty, fast, can have fun in the twisties and when not riding aggressively is very comfortable riding a few hundred miles as I would like to take a trip on whatever I end up buying to replace the R1. I really like the looks and HP of the K1200S and K1200R. Is there anything else I should look at. I am hoping to get out to one of the BMW dealers and ride both of these to see which one I like better.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 9:41 am
Enthusiast

They'll both be way better than an R1. Both have much better footpeg placement. Way more room than an R1. It you're going to use for any touring, then the S or R Sport are the best choice. Better wind protection. The R leaves you in the wind, and is downright not pleasant at high speeds. For my money, the S is almost the perfect bike.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2012, 2:35 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the info.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2012, 2:55 pm
Enthusiast

And their seats are far better as well, better gas mileage, will not be pulled over as often by police, and you can get a higher windshield. I've been since I got mine.

'91 K75S
'06 K1200S
BMWMOA # 119240
Yankee Beemer # 153
NRA # 154764753
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2012, 8:37 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Have you taken any trips on yours or spend multiple hours riding?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2012, 7:46 am
Enthusiast

I had this on my '06 K21200r with Rizoma bars almost from day 1.

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...R/8601350.html

Result was a damn near perfect riding position for me. I did a Saddlesore 1000 on the bike and put several 500 mile days on it while I had it.

Spiegler makes something similar. I've seen this setup on a R1100s. Looks pretty good.

http://www.spieglerusa.com/handlebar...n-kit-4235.htm

Mike

2011 T100 Bonneville Black
06 Black Griso
06 Yellow KR - SOLD
02 Z-Rex (Green of course)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2012, 2:40 pm
Addict

I've been over 45k on stock K12Ses, mostly coast to coast long days and no issues. I'm almost 73 yo, but no physical issues. I shift around on the stock seat, dangle my feet, and rest my wrists from time to time. Stop often because the tank only holds 4 gallons ( the most I've put in was 4.3 gal and sweated the last 35 miles while the fuel gauge, POS that it is is, was screaming 0 miles to go).

Jack Hawley
MOA #224

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode