Setting of ESA - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2012, 4:43 am Thread Starter
Noob

Setting of ESA

Hello All,

Perhaps some of you can help? I am not very clear as to how to set up ESA and I am thinking that there maybe somthing wrong with my cluster or switch?

as per the book it says that the ignition should be on , engine running, and press in turn to go through the settings of "comf" , "norm" and "sport".
thats fine it does that- my question is how do you get it to "adapt" as per the symbols ie :
pic of one helmet, pic of 2 helmets , pic of one helmet and a suitcase, pic of 2 helmets and a suitcase ect.
no matter what I do i cannot get the pic of helmets ect to change and it seems like the setting is permantly stuck on the pic of one helmet in all the modes either in "comf, norm or sport" still shows only one helmet .

how do you set it up to tell the esa that you have a pillion and luggage ect?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2012, 7:01 am
Addict

To change from single rider to single rider with luggage, start the bike, put it in neutral, then press and hold the ESA button until the display changes to single with luggage. Continuing to hold the ESA will cycle through to 2 up. Then once rolling down the road you can select normal, comfort, or sport.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2012, 1:17 am Thread Starter
Noob

thanks- yip thats the info I was looking for.
Now my display will not make any changes. and i cannot feel any difference between the modes. I have a feeling that my ESA functions have packed up- I do not beleive it is both front and rear, possible control unit wiring ??

do any of you guys may know what could be wrong with the system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2012, 7:25 am
Addict

You should be able to tell the difference. I can really notice it between comfort and sport. If I pop it into 2 up I can notice a difference in ride height.

If you can't tell a difference or the display isn't changing, then you may have an ESA issue.

The best thing I ever did was buy and extended warranty on my '06. I was never much of a believer in extended warranties until this past year. It literally paid for itself and saved me thousands.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2012, 11:56 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSMITH
thanks- yip thats the info I was looking for.
Now my display will not make any changes. and i cannot feel any difference between the modes. I have a feeling that my ESA functions have packed up- I do not beleive it is both front and rear, possible control unit wiring ??

do any of you guys may know what could be wrong with the system?

You dont say which bike you have, if its a K1300S the most likely culprit is the handlebar switch itself, my mate had 3 changed before he got a good un. If its a 1200 dunno.

Tim
------------------

2011 K1300GT
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 8:48 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thumbs up Eureka! Esa

YEBO YES EUREKA,

bike is a 1200s 2005

bit the bullet after being messed around by a local independant and arranged with a BMW dealer to help me out. They were fantastic- BAVARIA MOTORCYCLES in Centurion.
Picked up my bike, repaired it and delivered it back to me.

The ESA is working as it should, and was not a a case of "please pay millions to have the work done". all that was wrong is the wiring in the front had a break in it and to recalibrate the setup and do a software update.
told me that the brakes were not so hot so I got them to do it for me as well. I am well pleased and will no longer rely on independant for my next service.

I am a fussy bloke and perhaps fit the BMW motorcyclist profile of not a youngster, but not a granddad, am a technical person and like things done right. it has been for me a very difficult thing to take the bike in to a dealer or in fact anywhere, as in I have never let ANYONE do repairs or servicing on any of my bikes before- but as this K is a different kettle of fish, decided that if serving is to be done twice a year, ownership costs is not that bad.

Thank you once again to Bavaria Motorcycles in Centurion., I have a bike that operates as it was intended.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode