05 k12s ABS failure at 25K miles - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2012, 10:11 pm Thread Starter
Noob

05 k12s ABS failure at 25K miles

Dropped my 05 K12S off at the dealer today with a solid red warning light and blinking brake failure light. I was having intermittent servo assist and the servo was whining without using the brakes while the engine was running. Hoping its not going to be the ABS unit...
I really like this bike but after replacing the final drive two years ago, I'm starting to think BMWs are up to the quality of previous years...this my be the final straw and it may be time to find something less expensive to live with. Does anyone have a suggestion on alternatives? Are the R1200GSs more reliable or should I be looking at another brand. Does any other manufacturer have linked brakes connected to the hand lever while leaving the foot lever for just the rear? I'm come to really like this combination. I was thinking of a new Concours but I have read mixed reviews on their handling and the ABS/linked brakes are not what I was hoping for.

Any direction or guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2012, 12:07 am

It's luck of the draw. While I can't tell you what you should do I can tell you that any decision made in the heat of the moment won't be a good one. I love my '06 K12 bumblebee but damn if it hasn't cost me a pretty penny at times. A few of those times are directly attributable to the roundel mark that's so smug about their product yet fails to back it up with customer service.

You mentioned a failed final drive. I just brought mine in for its 18K checkup and was promptly told that it needs a new pinion seal. Cost for labor and parts is about $240. My SO's bike, an '85 Yamaha XJ700 has a shaft drive with over 30K on the clock. I'd bet serious money that its previous owners never bothered to service its final drive (I've changed the fluid three times in the 8K miles she's ridden it) and yet it purrs along just fine. How is it that the Japanese can manufacture a final drive that is relatively trouble free?

But I digress.

Would the GS be better? I dunno, it's a gamble at best. I've owned four BMW's in my lifetime and can tell you that they've all had their issues but none of them enough to make me want to sell the bike for a particular reason.

Take some time before making any drastic decisions. While I'm not happy to hear of your ABS hassle's and their associated costs I'd still recommend that you consider repairing the bike and enjoy every mile you can ride it but that's just my opinion.

Good luck.

Regards,
Randy
'02 RT nacht black
'05 Ducati ST3 black
'06 K12S bumble bee
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2012, 9:28 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks Spanky...

Spanky, thanks for your words of encouragement. I'm off the ledge...it will cost $2200 plus labor to replace the ABS pump but what can I do. I guess paying the BMW repair vig is just part of living with these high end motorcycles.

Besides, this is a one time hit...living with a lesser motorcycle will be forever. I was told that the new ABS pump comes with a two year warranty. Let's hope it lasts another 7 years...

Regards,
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2012, 8:44 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunPSBiker
Dropped my 05 K12S off at the dealer today with a solid red warning light and blinking brake failure light. I was having intermittent servo assist and the servo was whining without using the brakes while the engine was running. Hoping its not going to be the ABS unit...
I really like this bike but after replacing the final drive two years ago, I'm starting to think BMWs are up to the quality of previous years...this my be the final straw and it may be time to find something less expensive to live with. Does anyone have a suggestion on alternatives? Are the R1200GSs more reliable or should I be looking at another brand. Does any other manufacturer have linked brakes connected to the hand lever while leaving the foot lever for just the rear? I'm come to really like this combination. I was thinking of a new Concours but I have read mixed reviews on their handling and the ABS/linked brakes are not what I was hoping for.

Any direction or guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Not that i'm suggesting a change, but the Honda VFR 1200's have similar linked brakes. The dealers haven't been able to sell them at the $18K asking price, so many have new 2010 models sitting around that they're discounting. I just had a friend buy one in Dallas after his brother crashed his K1300S totalling it. He paid just over $10K for a new 2010 model VFR custom painted full black by the dealer. Heck of a deal. It's not an S bike, but close.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2012, 1:00 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Looking at choices..

As I'm turning 55 soon...I'm am thinking of something more upright and roomy for long distance weekend rides with friends....Am I nuts for looking at a second hand k13gts? There seems to be a good selection at MAX BMW. The alternative would be a used R1200RT or something new but I can't seem to find anything that floats my boat. The new Trophy from Triumph looks interesting but I'm sceptical of new models..what's a guy supposed to do. Almost 40 years of riding experience and I'm at a loss for ideas...Does anyone know if the Honda Crosstourer or Kawi Versus 1000 are coming to the US any time soon? They have been available outside the US for a while so hopefully the initial build gremlins have been worked out for the most part.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Tom
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2012, 4:58 pm
Enthusiast

I am 57 pushing 58.....did not even think of the GT. Yes my knees complain after 4 hours straight, but I am trying to stay in shape on the bicycle and that helps a LOT. Stay on the sportier side, but if I had to stray, the GT would be my next thought, too. My sales rep spanked me on the test ride and he was on the K13GT, lit up the rear tire on the on ramp.

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2012, 9:14 am Thread Starter
Noob

The never ending story...

Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts and encouragement. @25,000 I now have a new ASB pump, rear brake pads, and my fifth fuel strip all to the tune of $3,096.00. (Not to mention the final drive I replaced at 16,000 miles at a cost of $2,100) So, the question is, do I sell while things are working or buckle down and hope for the best. As the K12S' resale is not that great, I'm leaning towards buying the Pirate's peg lowering kit and hoping for the best. Besides, Honda and Yamaha are due to refresh the ST1300 and FJR1300 soon and I'm almost certain that my next motorcycle with be Japanese. (let's hope they both shave weight and upgrade the suspension as I just can't get use to the look of the Concurs 14) Give them two years in production to iron out the gremlins and I may be a customer. I'm addicted to the K12S's handling, stability, and power, but component failures and cost of repairs may cause me to hit bottom soon. I wish someone from BMW would acknowledge and address the recent quality issues...I can only imagine what's going to fail on the new 1600 line of bikes.

Bottom line is that I am blessed to have such issues while being able to provide my families' basic and then some needs.

God Bless the USA and stay safe on the roads out there...

PS. If you know a good bike mechanic in northern NJ, please pass along their contact info.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2012, 1:53 pm
Noob

So, inretrospect, are you glad you spent he money? I have the same issue and am not looking forward to spending big bucks to fix it but feel there are not a lot of options. Makes me mad that BMW seems to know they have a problem with the ABS but instead of issuing recalls to fix it, they jack up the prices of the repair. It is assinine to me to have a part cost $2300. Looking at other options like a used pump. Hard to believe a new BMW ABS pump only has a two year warranty on it but that is what they told me.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2012, 6:01 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunPSBiker
Spanky, thanks for your words of encouragement. I'm off the ledge...it will cost $2200 plus labor to replace the ABS pump but what can I do. I guess paying the BMW repair vig is just part of living with these high end motorcycles.

Besides, this is a one time hit...living with a lesser motorcycle will be forever. I was told that the new ABS pump comes with a two year warranty. Let's hope it lasts another 7 years...

Regards,
Tom
I TOSSED UP YAMMY RJS 1300 which has a rep for super reliability OR K12GT 07 only thing sold me the K was the cruise control
those prices are plainly ridiculous, if you dismantled the bike and bought each and every part singly, it,d cost more than Moonbeams
Did you try bike wreckers?
I wish you the best in the future

Best Rgds
Stuart

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode