what sounds like a chain rattle on decceleration - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2012, 9:14 am Thread Starter
Noob

what sounds like a chain rattle on decceleration

Hi All,

did a search and couldnt really come up with anything conclusive.

my bike seems like it has a slight "rattle" on the right side when I deccelerate .

bike is 2005 k1200s and i do still have the oild style tensioner still fitted to the bike.

i noticed this for the first time after pulling away from a traffic light and slowing down again for a stop street intersection - so I am not going fast and am in 2 or 3 possibly 4th gear and that the engine is at approx 2500 rpm. If i open the throttle and accelerate the noise goes away, but when I close it the noise manifests itself immediatly- which leads me to believe that it is a timing chain tensioner issue not able to take the slack up on the chain?

any of you guys had this before and if you were able to cure it does fitting the new style tensioner help with this?

many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2012, 11:25 am Thread Starter
Noob

i tried it again and while standing still in neutral the noise is defineatly there when blipping the throttle as the engine begins to deccelerate. i get a sharp metallic rattle for a short time

seems to be only when hot though?

any thoughts anybody?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2012, 9:17 pm
Noob

the cam chain tensioner is probably not keeping the tension you can check it by removing the silver plug on the clutch side case its in front of and lower than the slave cylinder you need a torx 60 or 50 to remove it then turn the crank slightly either way and see if the chain is fitting the gear tight.

If its loose you could either replace the tensioner with the updated BMW tensioner ,
or use the APE manual tensioner this will keep the chain tight all the time.
While the cover is off instal the the cam chain jump guard from BMW its about 6.00 and slips into place this should prevent the chain from jumping but it wont make the chain tight.

Also check the oil pump chain you may need to adjust the tensioner for that as well if its really slack and you can push the front run of the chain into the engine case it should be tightened, I adjusted my K1300s oil pump chain so it has about 8mm of front to back play on the front run of the chain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2012, 2:18 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks,

I got the chain jump guard and fitted it, along with new bolts and also adjusted the oil pump chain so it is tensioned as per the REPROM "make tensioner fit snugly againts chain". it was quite loose so i did just that.

However, i fitted the new style tensioner and it is worse. I followed the instructions word for word still not right. so i fitted the old style tensioner back and seems ok.

what did I do wrong- dunno?

any of you guys might know what could be wrong, what could i have done wrong?

thanks
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2012, 12:03 pm
Enthusiast

My guess is that the clutch housing rivets are getting loose. One way to find out is stopped in neutral. If you here the rattling, pull the clutch in. If it goes away, then it's probably the clutch housing.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2012, 1:19 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSMITH

However, i fitted the new style tensioner and it is worse. I followed the instructions word for word still not right. so i fitted the old style tensioner back and seems ok.

what did I do wrong- dunno?

any of you guys might know what could be wrong, what could i have done wrong?

thanks
When you fitted the "new style tensioner", did you fill the reservoir with oil before installing it? If the new tensioner is not pre-filled with oil, there is a lack of oil pressure on the tensioner's plunger which in turn means there will be insufficient pressure on the plastic rail and therefore the chain itself. I'm not sure which instructions you followed, but the first issued instructions failed to include the pre-filling info. From memory, the second version of the fitting instructions included this most important info. Perhaps, if you didn't pre-fill, this could explain why the noise was 'worse'?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2012, 4:22 am Thread Starter
Noob

prefilled it, followed word for word as per the very detailed instructions I found somewhere here.

but , It looks like I came right last night- just went over carefully the instructions.

not sure what I may have done wrong, but I have managed to redeem myself
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2012, 7:06 pm
Rookie

Good one, pleased to hear it
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2012, 10:27 pm
Noob

I've been back and forth on installing the new cam tensioner. I bought the bike last winter with 11,700 miles on it from my dealer. After getting it home and in the geerage, I started reading all the woes of the 1200 GT and questioned whether I had finally bought a BMW that would give me greif. I brought these thoughts up to my service manager, who is also a 20 year friend. He is adamaent that I don't swap out the old for new....says I am inviting problems. He says he will check the tension on the chain when he does the 18,000 mile valve adjustment and if it needs a new chain, then he will put in the new tensioner. He will be installing the jump guard when he does that service.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2012, 9:48 am Thread Starter
Noob

yip- this tensioner story is as bad as "what oil do i use" scenarios.

seems to be fine- I took the bike for a "vigorous" 220 km ride and seems ok.
do still have a bit of a rattle, but as per the one post about standing still in neutral and pulling the clutch in- the noise is the same- so I actually think it is oil pump chain?

I believe that is not such an easy one to change as the clutch basket has to come off to do it.

I have decided that I am just going to ride it, minimum service only when needed and just enjoy the bike.

PS the gearbox is LOVELY when ridden hard, and this bike is so quick- pulls to over 200km/h with such ease that it brings tears to your eyes. Found a way round to control myself, I listen to music on my i-pod thing a ma jing and it seems to keep me just shy of the legal speeds.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode