Exhaust swap 12-13S - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2012, 10:33 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Question Exhaust swap 12-13S

I'm in process of buying a K1300S to replace my K1200S. Love the 12, but it's time for something new. I thought this was going to be an easy process. I wanted to keep my expensive ($2400) Akrapovic full exhaust and switch it over to the newer K1300S. Then install the stock K13S exhaust on my now exhaustless K12S. Sounds simple enough, but it seems that BMW has changed the fit of the exhaust headers just enough to where they're not interchangeable.

Can this be done?

Any experience doing this? Advise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2012, 1:16 pm
DOA

Post your results please, my budget for the change to a K1300S is looking like late next year and I also want to keep my Akropovic. I did save my old K1200S exhaust so only the Akprovic on the K1300S will be my problem.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 8:02 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thumbs down Akrapovic's big lie

Contacted Akrapovic about using the K12S full titanium/carbon exhaust on my new K13S. The Customer Support Manager, Mike, tells me it will NOT fit, and that if installed it will diminish the performance. Mike "says" that the exhaust are tuned for the 1157cc K12 engine, and that the K13 1293cc displacement has obviously different back pressure, etc..

IMO, this is BS. I believe it's nothing more than a lie to make sure all those systems on various K1200 bikes don't get swapped out. After all, why would Akrapovic tell you to swap a $2500 exhaust when they REALLY want to sell you a new system? This BS isn't customer support, it's customer rip off. It may not be illegal, but it stinks. I love my Akarpovic system, and i'm damn sure going to swap it to my new K13.

Akrapovic Customer Service, shame on you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2012, 9:27 am
Noob

The K1300s factory will fit a K1200s with a couple of mods. The heat shield will not go on the K1200s, and you will have to cut off the brackets or deal with them showing. The tire only clears the exhaust by about the width of a piece of paper. That's with a Meztler anyway.

Check your pm for another option.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2012, 9:50 am
Noob

Your Akrapovic from your K12 absolutely will fit on your K13 with zero issues! I can't speak as to whether or not Akra actually made any changes to their systems from the K12 to the K13, but I really doubt it. They certainly did not have to make any changes for fitment, possibly they increased the overall length, in the mid-pipe section to compensate for the added handful of cc's in the K13's engine, lol! I would love to see both Akra systems, side by side, for comparison, or have Akra specify the 'alleged' changes that they made.

As for tranferring the K13 stock exhaust to your K12, this is also a direct fit. I just did it myself. I chose not to reset my bike's ECM, instead letting it make running changes to the new exhaust, as I drove. This generally takes about 20 miles or so. Also, I would strongly recommend using the entire K13 exhaust, headers and can, as I did, for better fitment.
Here is a thread I made about the swap:

http://www.bmw-k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18844

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode