Surging at low RPM's - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2012, 2:25 am Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Surging at low RPM's

I recently bought an 07 K1200S and have found it to surge quite a bit when at low RPM's, particularly when riding in traffic. In reading through the forums it seems that this is not an uncommon problem. I do not know what version of firmware is installed on the bike but the question I have is what is the better option: an upgrade to the latest version of BMW firmware, a Power Commander or an FRK Module. I would like to tame this bucking bronc down when I am on my daily commute home from work.
Does anyone have any good advice on this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2012, 1:11 pm
DOA

Keep the revs up?
Mine only surges when I let it get below 2K RPM. With almost 12K on tap running at 2K has to be a struggle due to cam timing and a host of other problems. Gas mileage does not seem affected and I am pretty much used to keeping the revs up now.
Only mods I have are K&N air filters and Akropovic exhaust.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2012, 12:39 am
Addict

My 06 model did it for the first time a month ago and I've not had a chance to ride it since. I was very aware the rapid idle and annoyed I must admit (only done 10,000 KMS. If it continues after the next run, I will see the dealership (didn't purchase the bike from them) and see if the updated air box has been fitted allong with the latest software update. We buy these machines not for their simplicity, and I hate gremlins.
Good luck with yours and keep us posted.

Ken

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2012, 12:52 am Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Update

I ran a bottle of Chevron Fuel system cleaner through two tanks of gas (half in each) and from the first tank there was a very noticable improvement. The surging isn't completely gone but is much better. The guy I bought the bike from didn't ride it much so the injectors may have been a little gummed up. I also purchased a Booster Plug that I will be installing this weekend and I will pass on the results.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2012, 1:29 am
Rookie

I also have a 2007 K12S and I had the same issue. Multiple trips to the dealer,airbox upgrade,latest firmware , etc., After installing the Booster Plug the problem was greatly diminished, however not completely eliminated. Especially on very hot & humid days.
I found the biggest problem to be ethanol in the fuel. If I can find ethanol free gas the bike runs much better. However this is not always possible, so when I must run ethanol fuels I add
Star-Tron fuel additive. You can find this at Wal-mart in the boating aisle. This stuff really works. As a master-mechanic I usually think all this stuff is snake oil, but I am really impressed with this product, It's the real deal. Good Luck !

Michael
"How long am I going to be dead ?"
2007 K1200S
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2012, 5:11 pm

I added a Booster Plug and it's helped quite a bit too. A PCIII is probably the best thing to eliminate the hesitation but also more expensive. We in Texas pretty much have to live with E10 (10% ethanol) fuel.

Dave
2008 K1200GT
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2012, 11:08 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Surging

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccroach
I also have a 2007 K12S and I had the same issue. Multiple trips to the dealer,airbox upgrade,latest firmware , etc., After installing the Booster Plug the problem was greatly diminished, however not completely eliminated. Especially on very hot & humid days.
I found the biggest problem to be ethanol in the fuel. If I can find ethanol free gas the bike runs much better. However this is not always possible, so when I must run ethanol fuels I add
Star-Tron fuel additive. You can find this at Wal-mart in the boating aisle. This stuff really works. As a master-mechanic I usually think all this stuff is snake oil, but I am really impressed with this product, It's the real deal. Good Luck !

I too have since installed a booster plug and it helped quite a bit, but the bike still runs rough between idle and 2000 RPM, which is where I usually end up in stop and go traffic. We only have fuel with ethanol here in Hawaii, so I am anxious to try the additive you recommend. Hopefully they have it here in the islands.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2012, 3:33 pm
Noob

Booster Plug works great

+1 to Booster Plug. Very good result at low revs. Can now get below 2000 revs in traffic and not hop around unless I used the clutch.
Also...I was using the highest (98) octane unleaded here in Australia but a service station I used in the country Rea only had 95...after a few kilometres the bike rode and idled smoother. I now use the 95 most times
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2013, 2:00 am Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Star Tron Fuel Additive

I've been using the Star Tron fuel additive for a couple of weeks now and I am sold!! It has further reduced the surging between idle and 2000 RPM. I can't say it is smooth as glass, in that range, but it is much improved. An added benefit is that the bike just runs much better overall, noticeable improvement in throttle response. I will continue to use this product and highly recommend it for others. I did have to search a little to find someone that sells it and finally found it at a lawnmower shop, but I now know where to go.

Scott
07 K1200S
98 K1200RS
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2013, 12:42 pm

Don't forget that the K12S is a nasty hot rod engine. It suffers below 2000 RPM. Just listen to it idle, that tells you something. Fuel (ethanol in it) is a major component of trouble as we all have found. I think the K12 in some ways is the best of the series. People complaining got BMW to do some radical engine changes when the K13 came out. Much smoother but that hot rod feeling is gone. I have a bottle of StarTron on the shelf. Now that my local Union 76 stations have ethanol in their fuel this month I will be joining you guys by using the additive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode