Identifying Transmission Code and Chain Tensioner - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2013, 11:48 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Identifying Transmission Code and Chain Tensioner

Hello,

Purchased a used trans for my 05 K1200s, yes second gear problem. The trans I purchased has a code of "MAD"' does anyone know how to translate that to what year the trans is?

Was hoping it was a 2008 model since I thought some revisions were done but not to the level of the K1300 trans.

Last question, I have the chain rattle on start-up, not too bad as it goes away within a second or 2, big improvement when I switched to 5w40. The bike was just into the dealer for the jump guard and they inspected the chain and said its ok, they also tightened the oil pump chain which they believe was the cause of some slight rattling when the bike would slightly stumble when warming up. They are actually recommending a manual chain tensioner over the newer style oil reservoir type, any opinions on the manual adjuster, the bike has 23k miles?

I did some some comments on other posts where people have seen a nice improvements in the smoothness of thier engine and low end throttling when they have installed the manual tensioner....I assume the cam timing accuracy must be better.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2013, 8:43 pm
JCW
contributor

I looked for an answer and couldn't find one.

I found the engine number, the vin, production dates for both halves of the case but nothing regarding the transmission number.

my spare has an ink stamped date on the inside of the transmission unit. Nov 24 200x. I suppose that's my date; however, it smudged when I ran my finger over it and I would imagine is easily removable if the trans was cleaned with some cleaner prior to being sold.

The manual tensioner on our bike is fine is you are prepared to check it frequently, IMO. It is too easy to set it too tight and basically rip the plastic cam chain guide to shreds. personally, what I would do is to fit the upgraded chain and cam wheel (doesn't sound like this was done), the jump guard and the new or old hydraulic tensioner. From what I understand, the rattle and the new tensioner is mostly a "cosmetic" fix rather than a preventative fix.

Honestly, IMO, a couple degree off in intake cam timing is not going to make the bike stumble on part throttle.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda

Last edited by JCW; Feb 19th, 2013 at 8:49 pm.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2013, 10:42 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Hey JCW, thanks for the reply

I don't need your extra trans now

The code is stamped on top of the driveshaft output section, wondering when you get time if you could check your 08 trans and see what that code is, the one I purchased is supposedly from an 08 K1200r and the code is "MAD" on the unit I have.

Thanks for the info on the tensioner, I really thought the dealer would come back and tell me to replace the chain/sprocket set and guides since I bugged them so much...."should I just do it since your in there...." But they didn't take me up...

They were pretty dead set on the manual tensioner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2013, 11:19 pm
JCW
contributor

there are no less than 4 different numeric or alphanumeric codes cast in the part- these numbers are likely part number etc. the only stamped number is above the final drive output above the throttle potentiometer and gear lever.

Stamped 0002407MAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnberg
They were pretty dead set on the manual tensioner
I'd ask them why. That might give me a hint about how much to trust them...

I think Gmack had problems with his tensioner? You might want to email him.
Also, I think there are several revisions of the APE manual tensioner ( the only one I know that exists) Make sure they are selling you the latest one with the stainless steel plunger and the body drilled for the oil passage.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2013, 11:32 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Hi JCW,

On the tensioner, they said they have found that they still rattle on start-up in a lot of installs they have done, some fairly recent
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 10:10 am
JCW
contributor

OK, sounds good to me, BUT like I said above, the rattle as long as it's not severe, is most likely completely harmless.

Being a 2005, I personally would get the imrpoved cam chain and accompanying cam wheel. I THINK they made the change because the old chain was prone to stretching (making the rattle worse) and possible jumping and/or breaking.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

'06 K1200R- in pieces

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode