BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Thanks, Andy, for the explanation

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  karlb 
#1 ·
Thank you for taking the time to put that down and let us know how this all came about. It's a pretty sorry story and as such, I'd like to hear the other side. There's always another side and we've heard bits of that in other posts. But until Vic comes forward with something that refutes your claims, I have to go with what you put down. And I have to add that your explanation has a ring of truth about it.

That's pretty unfortunate, but life goes on. I hope that our community makes the transition so that all of your efforts pay off.

I'm also going to ask if you've done anything to prevent the same thing from happening again. I'm sure that Vic started the site with the best of intentions and it was a great place to go for years. There may have been aspects of the situation of which we were not aware and certainly it was not meant to end that way.

And finally, I want to thank Vic for making I-BMW happen. I just wish you would have thought through all of your actions and done what needed to be done to keep it going as long as there were K12RS (or whatever) riders looking for a place to get together.

thanks,
hank

See less See more
#2 ·
HankB said:
Thank you for taking the time to put that down and let us know how this all came about.
You are more than welcome. This is what we were doing for the last almost 3 years.

It's a pretty sorry story and as such, I'd like to hear the other side.
so would I!

But until Vic comes forward with something that refutes your claims, I have to go with what you put down. And I have to add that your explanation has a ring of truth about it.
I can assure you that everything stated here from Randy and I is "nothing but the truth so help us ..."

I'm also going to ask if you've done anything to prevent the same thing from happening again. I'm sure that Vic started the site with the best of intentions and it was a great place to go for years. There may have been aspects of the situation of which we were not aware and certainly it was not meant to end that way.
This happening again? VERY unlikely. At this point your admins and moderators work diligently to better the site and all the donations will go directly to support the site. The people managing the funds from now on are the same ones who were careful enough to assure the health and growth of BOTH sites, despite the lack of income from i-bmw.com.

And finally, I want to thank Vic for making I-BMW happen. I just wish you would have thought through all of your actions and done what needed to be done to keep it going as long as there were K12RS (or whatever) riders looking for a place to get together.
Yes, it is true that vic started the original i-bmw.com site and it grew to 4-800 members, at which point it became unmanageable, extremely slow, unstable, allowed for ID highjacking, .... you get the idea. Since May 2003 when i-bmw migrated to the servers owned and operated by Randy, Jeff, and I all Vic was is a galleon’s figure. He was unable to configure or maintain the operating environment or the hardware, yet he took the credit. Go figure. Since May 2003 Vic is as much responsible for the smooth operation and growth of i-bmw as Al Gore is for the Internet. LOL

And yes, this not giving credit where credit is due to us and even more importantly to others (who threatened with legal actions and have VERY deep pockets) are just two of the many elements that led to the current situation.

This isn’t Vic’s site, It isn’t ours either – it is a community and only exists because of that community spirit.

Enough mudslinging, back to our scheduled programming.

#4 ·
Thanks you for posting up the long version of what occured it is much clearer than what was originally given as reasons for the change, they smacked of obscruity and just didnt seem correct.
That said I am hoping this site can become as valuable to the K1200RS/GT/S/R community as Vic's was and also hope that he will endeavor to bring his site back so we can all enjoy multiple sites devouted to the sport and bikes we all love and enjoy!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.