K1200S Running too Hot? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2013, 7:13 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

K1200S Running too Hot?

I'm not sure I have Temp problem or not on my 05 K1200S and wondering what others are seeing on thier Temp gauge during different conditions

I started out noticing in March when the temps warmed up a bit that the temp gauge was running 2 notches above normal after running the bike in the garage, also warmed up very quickly (~5-8 minutes). The fan would come on at the mid-point on the temp gauge but the fan would not lower the temp below normal, it would basically run all of the time while the bike was stationary.

So current state, bought the Airlift tool drained the coolant and pulled the radiator out for inspection. I removed no less than 2 tablespoons of tiny pebbles from the radiator. Re-installed and vac-filled the system.

The temp appears slightly "better" now, at stationary 1 notch above normal, fan still will not drop the temp below this point though. When riding in stop and go getting 1-2 notches above normal very quickly after slowing down but when I get rolling the temp returns to the normal mid-point but never below except once recently and it was a very long straight road.

When I filled the cooling system I did had the bike on the centerstand (reprom say "sidestand), wondering if I should redo the drain and refill or am I not really chasing something that's a problem at all?

My K1300GT runs below mid-point all of the time and the cooling fan can control the temp very well.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2013, 10:44 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnberg
I'm not sure I have Temp problem or not on my 05 K1200S and wondering what others are seeing on thier Temp gauge during different conditions

I started out noticing in March when the temps warmed up a bit that the temp gauge was running 2 notches above normal after running the bike in the garage, also warmed up very quickly (~5-8 minutes). The fan would come on at the mid-point on the temp gauge but the fan would not lower the temp below normal, it would basically run all of the time while the bike was stationary.

So current state, bought the Airlift tool drained the coolant and pulled the radiator out for inspection. I removed no less than 2 tablespoons of tiny pebbles from the radiator. Re-installed and vac-filled the system.

The temp appears slightly "better" now, at stationary 1 notch above normal, fan still will not drop the temp below this point though. When riding in stop and go getting 1-2 notches above normal very quickly after slowing down but when I get rolling the temp returns to the normal mid-point but never below except once recently and it was a very long straight road.

When I filled the cooling system I did had the bike on the centerstand (reprom say "sidestand), wondering if I should redo the drain and refill or am I not really chasing something that's a problem at all?

My K1300GT runs below mid-point all of the time and the cooling fan can control the temp very well.......
What do you consider "normal"?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2013, 11:23 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

The Mid-point on the temp gauge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2013, 5:52 pm
Noob

I had a K12s for 5 years and now have a k13s. Both bikes respond the same on their temp gauges.
3 bars, normal running moving above 45 MPH.( Unless temp is 100 degrees or higher.)
4 bars in slow traffic, or 5 bars with fan on.
5 bars, fan should run until 4 bars and shut down. The fan will not attempt to bring the bike down to 3 bars.
If it's hot enough the temp will run between 4 and 5 bars, or 4 bars and fan on .
Hope this helps.

Warren
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2013, 6:34 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks that helps

I never see 3 bars, it warms up quickly to what I believe is 5 bars, fan turns on and never shuts down, I stay at 5 bars even when moving and creeps up from there in stop and go.

I'm wondering if I should re-do the vac fill again, maybe it;s an air bubble that's causing this
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2013, 5:02 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnberg
Thanks that helps

I never see 3 bars, it warms up quickly to what I believe is 5 bars, fan turns on and never shuts down, I stay at 5 bars even when moving and creeps up from there in stop and go.

I'm wondering if I should re-do the vac fill again, maybe it;s an air bubble that's causing this
As simple as it is to change the rad fluid, I would redo it and make sure the bike was on the sidestand this time.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2013, 5:18 pm
Noob

I have filled mine on the center stand before, however the side stand is the correct way. with the left side panel off and the bike cold if you pinch the upper hose with your fingers and operate the bleed valve on the water pump at the same time it should have pure liquid come out. Sounds like you have air in the system.
After you do this, remove the radiator cap and refill, or use your vacuum pump.
The water pump is the highest point in the system, but what makes these bikes so tough to fill is the radiator is lower then the engine head.
Did you bike always run above 3 bars?

Warren
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2013, 6:58 pm
Noob

I have a 2010 K1300S. After my 36k service I noticed the bike was running hotter than usual, reaching 5 or 6 bars in traffic on a 78-degree day. I also felt a lot more hot air rising off the motor while stopped at lights. The fans would come on but the temperature would not drop.

I took it back to the shop and to their credit they listened to my concerns and eventually became convinced it was not normal. They replaced the water pump impeller which had developed an unusual amount of play, and the high temps went away. The best part was they considered it a warranty repair despite having just over 36k miles.

Apparently BMW NA has stockpiled an unusual number of these parts - the shop manager said there were 205 on hand nationally, which is a high number. Read into that what you may.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2013, 9:50 pm
JCW
contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbong
I have a 2010 K1300S. After my 36k service I noticed the bike was running hotter than usual, reaching 5 or 6 bars in traffic on a 78-degree day. I also felt a lot more hot air rising off the motor while stopped at lights. The fans would come on but the temperature would not drop.

I took it back to the shop and to their credit they listened to my concerns and eventually became convinced it was not normal. They replaced the water pump impeller which had developed an unusual amount of play, and the high temps went away. The best part was they considered it a warranty repair despite having just over 36k miles.

Apparently BMW NA has stockpiled an unusual number of these parts - the shop manager said there were 205 on hand nationally, which is a high number. Read into that what you may.
wonder if they changed construction?

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2013, 12:00 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the recommendation on the re-bleed, haven't had a chance yet to do this but will post results.

The only other issue I can think of is when I was filling I sucked a large amount of air initially from the fill line. I actually caught it quickly and let the vacuum out of the system, it had only pulled in a very small amount of coolant so far. I then got fluid into the fill line and re-vacuumed the system and then completed the fill. My assumption was that small amount of fluid was at the bottom of the engine and was not a factor........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode