ESA Shock Rebuild in the USA - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2013, 11:07 pm Thread Starter

ESA Shock Rebuild in the USA

Frustrated by the cost of new, harsh, BMW shocks at a criminal $4000 and the desire to keep my ESA suspension on my "06 K1200R, I searched for solutions. I was ready to send them to the Australian shop who have done many sets already but the cost of shipping was going to run about $800 round trip. Nixing that idea, I contacted Travis Jones at Go-Race Suspension in Virginia. He was eager to have a go at these so off they went.

He did the machine work needed to charge the front and replaced the pistons, seals and made changes to the valving to try to solve some of the idiosyncracies of the stock units. While my shocks were at his shop, a local customer brought him a K1200S for the same service. Fortunately, before he returned mine, he was able to rebuild the shocks on the S, and ride the bike. After evaluating the suspension changes, he redid the valving and tested again. Finally satisfied, he revalved mine again before he shipped them back.

I have just finished installing them along with replacing the blown out steering stabilizer. I have been able to ride the bike for about 50 miles tonight and the bike feels like a different bike. Granted, the shocks had over 37000 miles on them and the stabilizer was totally shot, but the high speed harshness is very much inproved and the bike seems even more locked in when cornering. I will have to ride it more for further evaluation.

I am not a suspension expert, nor am I a racer, but I have been riding and wrenching on bikes for over 40 years. This could be the most cost effective improvement made to my bike in the 6 years and 37K miles of ownership. Including shipping, I spent about $850.

If you're facing the decision of what to do to keep the ESA without shelling out $4k smackers for the same thing the bike was shipped with, consider getting in touch with Travis at go-race.com.

More to follow.

Last edited by bluzharp; Sep 17th, 2013 at 11:13 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2013, 1:52 pm
DOA

You can also try
http://beemershop.com/Merchant5/merc...BS&Screen=SFNT
for more dollars and MUCH better shocks
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2013, 10:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOA
You can also try
http://beemershop.com/Merchant5/merc...BS&Screen=SFNT
for more dollars and MUCH better shocks
Do you have these on a K12/13? I don't see them listed for my bike. I wonder how similar the K1600 suspension is. I was not aware of these when I had mine redone. After a couple thousand miles on mine after the rebuild, I am very satisfied with the performance and the cost of the job.

Still, over $500 more and I'm not sure how you would know how much better they are than my regutted WP's. For my use, I'm extremely satisfied with Travis' work and I'm sure if the Wilbers can be done for our bikes, they are excellent as well. The guys who have fitted the non ESA Wilbers have been happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2013, 9:20 pm
DOA

I have a set on order, non ESA.
I got to thinking about it and I never use the ESA feature since Wifey quit riding with me.

I will post on how it goes once they get here. I have heard good things about rebuilding the stock shocks, but even better things about the Wilburs.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2014, 11:36 am
Noob

Thumbs up

Thanks to this forum and for Bluzharp's post, I found Travis and had the ESA shock rebuild on my 2007 K1200s with 74k miles. After a couple days of riding and a few hundred miles of carving it up, I'm very happy with the new ride.

The suspension is tracking the road much better and the big bumps seem to pass right through, allowing me to hold a cornering line better. Also, the harshness this bike had is significantly reduced while keeping a good firm feel.

Travis was great to work with too, sending me photos of the new valves and the shock mod. He expedited the shipping on his dime since they got snowed out of the shop for a few days.

DW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzharp
Frustrated by the cost of new, harsh, BMW shocks at a criminal $4000 and the desire to keep my ESA suspension on my "06 K1200R, I searched for solutions. I was ready to send them to the Australian shop who have done many sets already but the cost of shipping was going to run about $800 round trip. Nixing that idea, I contacted Travis Jones at Go-Race Suspension in Virginia. He was eager to have a go at these so off they went.

He did the machine work needed to charge the front and replaced the pistons, seals and made changes to the valving to try to solve some of the idiosyncracies of the stock units. While my shocks were at his shop, a local customer brought him a K1200S for the same service. Fortunately, before he returned mine, he was able to rebuild the shocks on the S, and ride the bike. After evaluating the suspension changes, he redid the valving and tested again. Finally satisfied, he revalved mine again before he shipped them back.

I have just finished installing them along with replacing the blown out steering stabilizer. I have been able to ride the bike for about 50 miles tonight and the bike feels like a different bike. Granted, the shocks had over 37000 miles on them and the stabilizer was totally shot, but the high speed harshness is very much inproved and the bike seems even more locked in when cornering. I will have to ride it more for further evaluation.

I am not a suspension expert, nor am I a racer, but I have been riding and wrenching on bikes for over 40 years. This could be the most cost effective improvement made to my bike in the 6 years and 37K miles of ownership. Including shipping, I spent about $850.

If you're facing the decision of what to do to keep the ESA without shelling out $4k smackers for the same thing the bike was shipped with, consider getting in touch with Travis at go-race.com.

More to follow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode