Weird Clutch Problem - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2013, 12:43 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Weird Clutch Problem

I’m having a problem with the clutch on my 05 K1200S and I thought I would throw it out to greater minds than mine (not saying much) to see if anyone had any ideas…
Here’s the situation: I have an 05 with 93,000 miles on it. With the exception of the first 500 all of those miles are mine. At about 80,000 I decided to buy the bike a present and got some fancy moto-zen levers from Jerry.
I had to do a lot of fine tuning of the plunger adjustment screw in the grip assembly to get the clutch to the point where it grabbed at the right point in the lever travel, had enough pull to let me get through the gears and did not slip. In the process I stripped the socket on the little set screw that locks the plunger adjustment screw. (I am the poster boy for why Jews shouldn’t own power tools).
OK, now here’s the problem… when the bike is cold in the morning the clutch begins to grab when the lever is fairly close to the grip. No problem hitting neutral and the bike shifts as good as it ever did. (Insert disclaimer about typical BMW shitty shifting here).
After a day of 250 miles or so when the bike is hot the clutch grabs much closer to the end of the lever travel and I have a very difficult time getting neutral… and the clutch slips.
The bike has had all of the scheduled maintenances at the dealer who uses BMW spec semi synthetic oil. I’m in Florida when the temperature is almost always above 80. I was thinking that going to a higher viscosity oil might help. Any ideas??? Thanx in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode