2005 K1200s clutch friction plates - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 7:00 pm Thread Starter
Noob

2005 K1200s clutch friction plates

HI I have a 2005 k1200s. i might have put a quart of wrong oil in bike to top off. clutch is slipping now. I changed oil but clutch still slipping after 2 tank fulls. i was wondering do the friction plates off a 06-09 work on the 05. I have looked at barnetts but they dont make for the 05 years. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2014, 7:55 am
Rookie

I have a basket/plate stack off a 1200R that I am breaking which I would be happy to sell you if that helps. Shipping may be a problem/expensive as I am in the UK though
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2014, 4:05 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Yes i know shipping out of UK is a problem. but thanks for answering. would they fit 2005 k1200s dont know if the oil pump gear would mesh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2014, 4:31 pm
Noob

Contaminated clutch discs

Have you solved your clutch problem yet? If you think the slipping is due to contamination from incorrect oil, you can try to remove the clutch discs and clean them with a brake cleaning aerosol solvent. You'll have to drain the oil and fill up with your favorite JASO-MA2 oil, or if you want something cheaper try Rotella T 15W40 and see whether the clutch still slips after you've cleaned it. Make sure you also replace the filter or at least remove and drain the old oil from the filter if you intend re-using it. It may take a few miles for the clutch to regain its friction characteristics.

If the clutch still slips after cleaning the discs and replacing the oil, you have another problem.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2014, 5:22 pm Thread Starter
Noob

thanks
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2014, 9:26 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgi1969
Yes i know shipping out of UK is a problem. but thanks for answering. would they fit 2005 k1200s dont know if the oil pump gear would mesh?
Don't see why they won't fit if you still have the problem, its basically the same unit etc.

cheers
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2014, 7:13 pm
Noob

clutch issues

Had bad slippage from my clutch (2005 KS), and I replaced the pack with the Barnet pack without issues. Stopped the slippage. According to our local dealer, the issue is the same known for these bikes with not enough oil getting to the clutch. The clutch dirt and debris then mixes with the oil to causes a paste and causes them to slip. In the past using the lighter weight synthetic oil recommended by BMW helped as much as the fixes to replace the oil nozzle and the oil pump sprocket...I guess it was able to wash away the debris, of which there was a lot when I opened up my clutch. I have the new oil valve/spiget/button thing but haven't replaced it yet, and dont have the new sprocket yet, but will try.

My issue, which doesn't seem to be addressed elsewhere is with the funny rumbling noise that occurs during idling in neutral, which goes away if you disengage the clutch It is not the startup rattle (timing chain tensioner problem), nor the judder problem. And coming to think of it, it doesnt really fit with an oiling of the clutch problem, because in neutral the clutch isn't released...it is engaged, which means it is a noise coming from the rotation of the shaft in the transmission in the neutral position. I am wondering if has something to do with the oil pump drive behind the clutch, because it doesn't seem to fit with something in the transmission..noise there seems like it would be due to a missed neutral, and maybe be seen by some movement of the rear wheel or something (speaking out of my butt here, bc I don't really know how the neutral works).

I worry that it portends failure in the transmission, but am hopeful that it has something to do with the oil pump chain or pump itself, which is not as ominous to me).
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2014, 10:36 am

clutch k1200s

My clutch plates have worn out I installed the barnets plates which are advertised on there site for 06 onwards but they fitted perfectly on my 2005 k1200s and the bike is going fine
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2014, 5:42 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kralties
My clutch plates have worn out I installed the barnets plates which are advertised on there site for 06 onwards but they fitted perfectly on my 2005 k1200s and the bike is going fine
Did you DIY your clutch plates?

I'm trying to do the same thing on my '05 KS, however I'm stuck. The BMW service manual isn't much help.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2014, 1:56 am

my mechanic just inserted the barnett plates with no problems at all ,bike running fine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode