Anyone added an airhorn?? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2014, 9:57 am Thread Starter
Noob

Anyone added an airhorn??

I just replaced my 2007 K1200GT with a 2012 K1300S and am looking forward to being a part of your Forum.

I added a Stebel airhorn to my GT and will do the same to the S. Has anyone done this and found a place to hide the airhorn behind the fairing?

Also, if someone has added an airhorn, where did they find the regular wire to the existng horn that they could tap onto to activate the horn relay?

If I am the first to do this I can post photos and instructions how to install the horn if the Forum is interested.

With thanks

Dennis
K1300S
Vancouver, Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2014, 10:30 am
Addict

Dennis, added horn to my 13S. Didn't take any pics along the way but it was so simple even I did it in 1hr. Get the Hornig wiring kit! Kit comes with must small items that makes install a no brainier really! Comes with a small bracket , and a bmw compatable female socket. Just undo the socket from orig horn. It's on left side adjacent to forks. Squeeze the tab on the male side of socket, hold the female side and disconnect. Little tight in there but doable once you see how the socket works~same as all the other bmw small sockets. Just fish that wire around to horn. No cutting anything. Relay and wires all included in kit an well worth price. Easy peazy.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2014, 10:35 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks very much

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2014, 7:51 pm
Enthusiast

I ran my Stebel Nautilus Compact Dual-Tone Motorcycle Air Horn, 12-Volt, 139 dB, Black on the left side / by the computer brain with zip ties & my HID box on the right side

'91 K75S
'06 K1200S
BMWMOA # 119240
Yankee Beemer # 153
NRA # 154764753
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2014, 3:19 pm
DOA

I hate to ask, why a louder horn?
I run a race exhaust so I am not quiet unless I am decelerating or going pretty slow. Any the time I think I want to hit the horn the incident is usually over before I want to divert the attention from driving to blowing the horn. When would you use it?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2014, 9:02 pm
Addict

If you have to ask you wouldn't understand. Just a little sarcastic The meep meep of oem horn Will not get anyone's attention I read body language while riding more than someone's signaling. Anticipating someone cutting over is half the battle hence the air horn.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2014, 11:36 am
DOA

Thanks, we ride differently.
I would be sure to be clear of harm and never use the horn. Either far enough back to allow the lane change or move ahead to a safe spot. But I can see an instance when that is not possible. I don't mind an occasional bump with the mirror or even doors, such is the commute I have. Sometimes easy, sometimes open warfare. I love it.
Lane splitting in California is legal so close encounters and a little "rubbing" is the norm for many bikers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode