Removal of the ABS system - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2014, 6:36 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Removal of the ABS system

I own a 2006 K1200S that I took to the Calabogie Motorsport Park last year. The odometer is showing 20K miles and the bike worked great with one exception. On day 2 I noticed the servo motor was stuck in the on position as if you were still applying the brake. I would turn the key off then on again and it would stop. This happen only a few times until one week later when I for a street ride and the warning light appeared. A solid non blinking bright red triangle with the exclamation point! I can tell you I was very scared to ride it home but I survived.

What I found out was the rear ABS motor would cut out when the rear brake pedal was pushed hard and long enough. Once in that position long enough I would get the warning light.

My question is should I remove the whole unit and ride without the ABS? Has anyone here ever removed it? If yes did they see any difference and in what way?
In reading other forums I hear that these can cost as much as $5k to replace.
If anyone can put in there 2 cents worth that would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2014, 7:20 am
Rookie

I removed the ABS system of my 2005 K1200R including removing the hard lines etc. Replaced with the non ABS line on the front. You will have to remove the electronics from the ABS unit and connect back up to have your speedo working and you will have the red light on the dash. I could not find a solution for this so in the end blanked it off with some tape!!

I am pretty sure your bike will be running the 1st gen version so should be the same proceedure.

Bike ran without issue, brakes were good but I did improve the feel with HP2 brake and clutch master cylinders which bolted straight on including the loom connectors. I have these for sale but they need new levers. I am braking my bike due to road accident! PS. It wasn't due to the brakes!!

I only removed my ABS as I was running it on track a fair bit and didn't want ABS in that situation. My pump was working when I removed it. Its for sale but your a long way from me so shipping would be a nightmare I suspect!

Hope that helps.

Let me know if your interested in any of the bits.

Cheers
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2014, 2:54 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Thanks for the info!

This is of great help and thanks for taking the time to reply. I have the bike at the shop now and he is doing some tests to see where we stand. If I need or wish to replace I will get a hold of you if the shipping isn't too crazy.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2014, 6:01 pm
Noob

Hello.. curious what you found out from your dealer? Did they tell you the ABS is shot and will need to be replaced? I have had the same issue with my 05 K12S (pump running without lever engagement). However; I have not had any issues with the brake system at all since it happened. The continual running came after a new software download was done by my dealer. I am relatively sure there is no correlation but seemed odd considering it had never happened prior. Nonetheless I am concerned it may be the pump and will absolutely remove the system as noted in an earlier post. I will not spend $3 grand to fix a system I don't really like. I much prefer the feel and modulation of a non abs brake. If I want to apply rear brake I like to make that decision, not by virtue of pulling on the front lever. Thanks..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode