Brembo 19 RCS - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 2014, 9:39 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Post Brembo 19 RCS

Greetings - Looking for reviews from anyone who has upgraded their K 1300 S master cylinder to Brembo 19 RCS. I own a 2011 & immediately upgraded the front pads to EBC HH Extreme Pro - plus a Leo Vince Evo Can. This enhanced grip, performance & acceleration, and I was pacified...but I am still looking for improved performance in the front - NEVER use the rears.

My second BMW is a 2010 S1000RR & a dedicated track day platform. I upgraded its master to 19 RCS & the improvement was vast. I immediately changed the sucky OEM pads to Extreme Pro HH, & then to Ferodo CP 2.11 pads (along with proper preparation of the rotors) & RBF 600. The performance increase is tremendous . This bike has a 420 conversion, Akro Stainless Race & PC V.

I recognize the K1300S is a another unique child who's proficiency is within other areas. However, if a $325 investment will yield improved braking performance then I'm all-in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 2014, 11:27 pm
JCW
contributor

I was never able to get mine to work properly. The 19x18 ratio made the lever travel excessive and the lever hit the grip. At 19x20 it was still more travel than stock. And i bled the heck out of it. Maybe it was something i did wrong, but i'd suggest you try it out with the rcs you already have before shelling out $$.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2014, 1:21 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the contribution - something is clearly amiss, specifically regarding how excessive the lever travel is that you described. It is possible that the Brembo is defective, and perhaps more likely that air is getting into your brake line(s) - as you mentioned copious bleeding. To place this in perspective I measured the brake lever to throttle distance at approx. 3". On my RR with the 19 RCS I cannot pull the lever in more than 1". The feel is quite rigid & I can not possibly get the lever all the way in. On my K13 I have up to 1 1/2" of travel - however, this increases with aggressive riding.

The problem we all want to improve is brake fade, where the lever gets softer, travel increases, & performance goes away. The 19 RCS on my RR remains significantly more rigid, all day long at the track, & I use the top digit of my index finger only to apply minimal pressure that obtains incredible performance.

Does anyone know which other platforms have the identical master as on the 2011 K13, & has anyone upgraded to the Brembo 19?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2014, 4:42 pm
JCW
contributor

Yeah, it must be something I did wrong.

One thing to consider is the piston sizes. But the S1000RR uses two 34mm/caliper and the K12/13 uses 32/36mm pistons. Doesn't sound like that much of a difference.

Practically all the newer model BMW's (other than the supersport S1000RR) come with the same brembo calipers with their unique mounting distances.

It should work.

The S1000RR already comes with a radial brake MC. The K12/13 have a conventional MC. So you MIGHT notice a greater difference with the K13.

That said, many will say they can't tell the difference in regular everyday riding.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2014, 8:58 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks very much JCW - the one's who can't tell the difference talk and post, & never had a knee on the asphalt...if you have to explain - they clearly don' t understand. My $30. contribution & one response from you was worth the effort. Lot's of readers, no one else to contribute - like I said before...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode