06 K12S When to say goodbye? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2014, 4:19 pm Thread Starter
Noob

06 K12S When to say goodbye?

I purchased a 06 K1200S with 27k miles on it in June of 2012... well, at least I started payments on it then hehe. We've had a lot of good times together and I really like the bike. However, just recently (after only 10k miles) I've sprung a leak near the final drive boot. I don't know if this is coming from the FD unit or from a transmission seal. Additionally, the gearbox has started sticking in some gears, mostly 4th and 5th. Also the gearbox sometimes finds neutral zones between gears. Crucially though the gearbox does not come out of gear - this fact makes me a little optimistic that it might hang around for a while. I also have the clutch rattle, and the cam chain grinding. I have kept up with all maintenance on this bike. A few weeks before my final drive issue I resolved to spend nearly a grand to fix the timing chain thinking that me and the K12S would be together for a while and it would make sense to fix this as a long-term insurance against a catastrophic failure...

I'm beginning to believe that sort of thinking might be misplaced. Everyone that I've run into that has an 05 or 06 K12S seems to have the same story. I ask them if they like their bike. They say yes. I ask them if they've had any problems and they tell me they're on their 2nd transmission or clutch, had their timing chain replaced, or some other significant repair. I don't want to have to spend 2500 to get this bike fixed only to have to put another 3k into it in 10K miles when the transmission goes. I bought a used motorcycle, not the Space Shuttle. What do you think is my best move here? I still owe money on the bike but I could pay it off reasonably quickly and sell it as a fixer upper or for parts. Or, I could just pay the repair fee and hope the thing doesn't explode.

Last edited by dasjefe; Apr 13th, 2014 at 5:53 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2014, 9:20 pm
Noob

Unhappy K1200S keep or not?

Sorry you're having trouble. I bought a 2006 in March 13 with 11K and so far (15K) no problems. Can you go back to the dealer who sold it, or maybe write a letter to BMW. Maybe write it off for what you can get and buy a newer model

?

Clay
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2014, 2:15 pm
Noob

Just wrestled with this question myself. I had to replace the clutch on a pristine low mileage K1200 GT I had purchased only 8 months ago. I determined that I like this bike more than any of the other dozen bikes I have had in the past, so I went ahead with the repair - this time. If I start to encounter more problems in the future, then I will go ahead and cut my losses.

A.J. Jensen
2007 K1200 GT
2007 K1200R Sport (sold - should have kept her)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2015, 5:06 pm
Noob

Garage
K1200s is a Keeper for now

I think I have been where you are when you wrote that note and today, I am here with my k1200s.

That said,It just happens to be a K1200s this time and was a K1100rs a little while back. Oh I miss her.. I could ride all day on a tank.. the 1200.. it's like when I was 18 in a beer store..

OMG... it is so easy to second guess you're choice, but as much as I loved my 1100.. my 1200 is so much better. So I am going to hang in there with her for a while. Ya I hear ya.. there can and possibly need to be repairs needed to keep it the way "I" want my bike.
But I was just looking at the new 15 K1300s special edition with "call for quote" as a price..

SO, I am pretty sure the one under me, with the right kind of TLC, sometimes done by me.... sometimes done by a tech will keep me on the right path for a number of years.. or until my wallet falls open for the next bike my wife thinks is my mistress..

One note: I have read a lot of threads regarding the timing chain on the 12 and it appears some feel there is a real difference between the 13 and the 12 product quality but if the chain is a crossover.. (can anyone substantiate that?), the upgrade would be worth it, do the jump chain guard and any other reasonable updates if you get into it and move on down the road.. waaaaaaay too fast I can imagine. So.. anyone with a thought on this subject, I would love to hear their thoughts..

Great forum
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2015, 7:26 am
Enthusiast

My '06 is fine - moved to full syn. oil / cam chain guard & CHAIN TENSIONERS helped the rattling - All recalled & free - not sure WHY you paid for this repair ! The final drive - I've had no problems just replaced the outer seal when BMW did the recall on the rear wheel spindle at 45K - I have friends who have '05/'06 who are on #2 FD & they just buy used FD

'91 K75S
'06 K1200S
BMWMOA # 119240
Yankee Beemer # 153
NRA # 154764753
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2015, 1:01 pm
DOA

54K on my '06 K12s. I bought a K13s about a month ago. The K12 is the better bike for now, Wilbers shocks, ainti-grav battery, full Akropovic Ti exhaust and fuel map tuned by Fastline.
The K13 will be better, but until I get some miles on it and re-map the fuel the K12 will be faster, smoother and more fun (except the air shifter).

Look up what needs to be done to the clutch, they are not made right and unless 90% of your miles are highway and you never hold it in at a light you need clutch mods.
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=51004
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2016, 12:53 am
Noob

Cam chain tensioner

Call /BMW customer service 800-831-1117 give them your Vin # and register your bike all these things are recalled including wheel flange ,fuel pump, fuel strip, cam chain
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2016, 10:35 pm

I began to read this thread with great interest then noted how old it is and that the OP posted only once. I'm curious as to what he ended up doing but as far as I'm concerned my K12 is staying in the garage.

Regards,
Randy
'02 RT nacht black
'05 Ducati ST3 black
'06 K12S bumble bee
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2016, 1:22 pm
Noob

K12S in Denmark

Cheers!
I wouldn't worry too much.
My K12S from '06 is now close to 60.0Km and has never skipped a beat.
Enhanced with a PC3 / QuickShifter, but stock exhaust. Sounds and runs sweet, even though Danish summer at the moment is a bit damp and not too warm just yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode