May make the move from Ducati to BMW - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2014, 8:09 pm Thread Starter
Noob

May make the move from Ducati to BMW

New to the forum and unfortunately I keep my bikes usually for not much more than a year. I have had them all but never a BMW. I currently ride a Ducati Multistrada. What a great bike. Fast, handles great etc. perfect by most owners would say. I am not into the adventure bike thing and looking for something a little more refined while still retaining frightening speed. I grew up on sport bikes as a kid but my 44 year old frame no longer favors the comfort the don't provide.the K 1300 s has always intrigued me. A bit about my riding profile. I live in Atlanta GA so I ride mostly the N Georgia mountains, the Dragon. I never commute in Atlanta traffic and do ride occasional 2 up with the MRS. I was able to test ride a 13 loaded K 1300 s this weekend and I enjoyed it ALOT! Felt very refined and smooth compared to the Ducati. I know that is the allure of the Ducati but not my thing. My only concern is the seating position. The dealer did not have a demo so they only let me ride about 10 miles. I found it to be very comfortable but would love to know what it would be like with more mileage. On average I ride about 140 miles per trip with some longer ones thrown in. I would love to hear some feedback on the K13

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2014, 9:18 pm
Noob

The only thing I don't like is the seat' but that is easily changed'''
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2014, 8:02 am
Noob

GREAT bike.

It's a great bike. I've had mine for about 3 months. I had the seat custom-tailored, added Helibars and lowered the pegs. It's fairly comfortable, but remember, it's a Sports-tourer with an emphasis on "Sport".

The engine is supremely powerful and smooth, and the fit and finish are top-notch. Is it Adventure-bike comfortable? No. Is it the most capable street bike I have ever owned? YES YES YES.

There are options to raise the bars to almost silly heights, and seat options are many as well.
It's really a superb machine - but you must be VERY judicious with the right wrist .

Life is tough - it's even tougher if you're stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2014, 2:07 pm
Noob

Ditto

Hello all, I haven,t posted since I owned my 05 Yellow and Black 12S, a wonderful machine.
I hold a self proclaimed title "The oldest S1000RR rider in the U.S."" (76) If you know someone older let me know and I will drop my claim..

I purchased an 08 12S late last year and proceeded to make her mine. 1 changed the fuel map and the intake to KN dual cone filter set up. Installed the larger clutch slave cylinder as found later on the 13S models.I bought the kit from Pirates Lair which I find as a good source of after market goodies at reasonable prices.As purchased, the machine was set up for solo riding, but my darlin (married 51 years) has been riding pillion for all that time and couldn't on the S so I bought the brackets with pegs on line and took the Sargents tail piece off and replaced with a great Sargent's Pax seat. I did the obligatory cosmetic changes ,clear lenses,upgrade headlites, and Motolites to LED's, put ballbearings in the shift lever. I also cleaned up the back by manufacturing a minimalist license plate holder that passes Florida HP muster. The previous owner had already added an excellent Sargent seat and bar backs. She isn't as fast as my S but she is a dream to ride and she's is a knock out in Aluminium and yellow, I'd send you a picture but that has not worked out in the past . I've had a BMW in my garage,shed or barn since 1956 nonstop, and can say these 12S are right near the top. Thanks for reading an old riders ramblings.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode