What is the best sounding aftermarket exhaust for K1200S - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2014, 12:41 am Thread Starter
Rookie

What is the best sounding aftermarket exhaust for K1200S

I know this is very subjective topic and there will most probably be a lot of different views.

I noted that Remus seem to be most common while Akrapovic (expensive) and Two Brothers are second choices.

What have others fitted as aftermarket exhaust?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2014, 9:50 pm

I have an Arrow Titanium on mine. My Brother has the Akrapovic and I like mine a little better. Has a little more bark. But then I would... I liked it so much I cut 10 inches off.
Before

After
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2014, 1:43 am
Noob

To me, Akrapovic sounds good on K-bikes. Check out some Youtube videos to get ideas on how it sounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2014, 3:45 pm
Noob

Akrapovic...YEAH!

The Akrapovic has very deep luxurious sound and once you've owned one, very hard to accept anything else. I have a full carbon raceline system and the sound is superb and does the Beemer justice. Not to mention a couple of extra horses for your fitment pain. (Like the "K" needs more). Can is a bit long but then so is the "K".

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d3xri50fl9...2010.14.08.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/885afsw2q3...2010.15.11.jpg

I bought a SC Project slipon but after three rides, just found it was a real high pitch screamer (GP style) through the gears and also when giving a bit of snot up top, so have removed that. Not my preference for this bike but may appeal to others. It is a lot shorter so does well in the looks department however.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bw8iir69yr...14.27.19-1.jpg

Last edited by Maestrolb; Jun 13th, 2014 at 7:52 pm.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2014, 12:27 pm
Noob

Two Brothers Carbon Slip-on

I can't say that I did anything other than acquiring this bike with the exhaust on it. But I love the sound, and look. It's definitely aggressive and racy.

From their website it's supposed to bump HP by +5.x%

There is a definite deceleration pop - personally i think it sound cool, but I don't know if there's something that can be done to eliminate the pop. At the BMW bike dealer they said that it's no use putting on a PowerCommander as this exhaust is only a slip-on and not a full exhaust, so I still have cats.

https://app.box.com/s/40lj2aj6fze3lrnfetl7

Revman
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2014, 3:01 pm
Veteran

I've heard all the US options and think they sound the best in this order...

1. Laser Hotcam 2 (No longer available)...
2 Remus Hexacone
3. Akro
4. Two Bros
5. Staintune

One other factor that is every bit as important as sound.. looks... In this category Akropovic would be dead last..While the quality is as good as any of the others and they do sound good.. they are honkin large.. Probably the biggest aftermarket cans on the market... If you're like me.. you want something sleek and small.... I simply don't like the looks of a can that large...I have a Laser shortie on mine..
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2014, 2:12 pm
Enthusiast

I love my Laser hotcam 2 without baffles ! I get more comments about - A rude good tone

'91 K75S
'06 K1200S
BMWMOA # 119240
Yankee Beemer # 153
NRA # 154764753
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2014, 10:30 am
DOA

Not sure what Pirate is smokin - but I want some!
My Akrapovic is not any larger than the other exhausts I see. Beauty is a personal matter and I cannot stand the little spigot coming out the back of many exhausts. I like the carbon fibre cone outlet. The sound is about the same until the upper revs where the Akrapovic is better by far. I am running the full Ti "race" exhaust which actually is not all that loud.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...xhaust-systems
looks same size to me as
http://www.remususa.com/epages/remus..._Revolution%22
Laser actually looks bigger
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgrefu...M&h=768&w=1024
But the laser does have a nice outlet.

If you can spring for a full Ti exhaust and Lithium battery then add Wilbers shocks you will save about 30 lbs. Sounds expensive at first, but if you are keeping the bike it is worth it.

Last edited by DOA; Jul 8th, 2014 at 10:36 am.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2014, 10:57 am
Veteran

I was refering slip-ons as 9 out of 10 people go with slip-ons over the full system...and for good reason.. I never recommend full systems for this bike when customers ask..

The full system Akro canister for the K1200S does look very nice .. beautiful, even and isn't large/.. However.. the slip-on is much longer... probably the longest on the market.. FYI... we sell (or have sold) all the aftermarket brands through the years for the K1200S (including Akropovic) and I got to see them side by side and have actually installed them all on my own at some point just to see which sounded/looked the best..Perks of being in the biz, doncha know. While the Akro quality is there... no doubt about it... the slip-on cans are just waaay too long IMHO...My 2 doubloons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOA
Not sure what Pirate is smokin - but I want some!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2014, 10:23 am
DOA

Score another for Pirate.
Thanks for clarifying. I agree full systems are very expensive and therefore not as popular.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode