Bar risers K1200S 2004 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2014, 3:40 am Thread Starter
Noob

Bar risers K1200S 2004

Hi all!

I am considering trading my beloved GSX1100G for a 2004 K1200S.

The only BMW I fancy (and can afford :-)) is the K12S. It gets excellent reviews and I love the looks.

But for me the downside is the riding possition. I an old fart and my back won't take the leaning forward. Thus I am investigating the bar riser options.

I found several alternatives, up to 90mm. (LSL handlebars...) I really would like to raise the bars more. I am wondering if any of u guys know if there are alternatives taking it further?

TIA

Lars
:-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2014, 2:03 pm
Veteran

First of all... BMW didn't make the K1200S in 2004.. First year was 2005...

Second... as someone in the biz who owns a K1200S I can say this ... Before you start changing the ergos of the bike.. especially drastically like you are suggesting... why don't you spend some time actually getting used to the bike... then decide what you need or don't need. We've been selling Verholen 50mm and 85mm risers for the K1200S for years and I don't think I've ever heard of anyone who wanted more than that...

IMHO going to 85mm really diminishes the bikes sporting characteristics... If you want over that... you may be looking at the wrong bike to purchase... My 2 doubloons.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2014, 8:49 pm
Enthusiast

Jerry (Pirate), sells quality products and is a great guy to deal with.

Richie
04 K12GT
89K100RS (Gone, but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2014, 7:34 am
Noob

I have the 50mm risers on mine - work great and make the ride much more enjoyable.

I don't know why Pirate feels the need to put out a criticizing post rather than constructive post - in the end, the person who owns the bike has to enjoy it; that being said, 85mm risers should be more than enough and it's unlikely that you'll want higher than that without considering a different bike.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2014, 9:45 am
Veteran

Criticizing?? FYI... I thought I was giving good advice. As our company specializes in these bikes... and I'm arguably one of the top sources of information for the K bikes in all the world... I though my insight would be useful, helpful... and yes.. constructive.

{QUOTE=RoadKnight]II don't know why Pirate feels the need to put out a criticizing post rather than constructive post - in the end, the person who owns the bike has to enjoy it; that being said, 85mm risers should be more than enough and it's unlikely that you'll want higher than that without considering a different bike.[/QUOTE]
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2014, 3:55 pm
DOA

Another + to Pirate from me, unsolicited.

There are quite a few options here that you may or may not have considered. I am 65 years, riding for 50+ so we may have similar problems. Arthritic wrists, more belly than I should have allowed and the need to get to work through traffic. It is unlikely your back will continue to be a problem, a little stretching each day and you will be fine. Your wrists may complain though.

The K1200s works well for me. But not as set up by the dealer. I tend to make lists so:
1) as soon as you get the bike
a) sit on the bike with your butt firmly against the seat hump, you will probably wind up there for your riding position
b) get help and set the levers parallel to your forearms, this may change but start there
c) adjust the shifter as low as you can without accidental up shifts. Noone ever misses a downshift, but missed upshifts are often caused because our foot does not go far enough. A lower lever can help with this
d) on level ground get the mirrors exactly right, wide spot of the mirror on the horizon and minimal sight of your own body
2) ride it a few thousand miles thinking about the above adjustments, if your wrists bother you be sure to note when; it is at slow speeds or fast, straight or in town or twisties
a) Fix what is wrong with the step 1) if necessary
b) if your wrists bother you try
1) for high speed or twisties you are holding on too tight, relax and let the bike help
2) slow speeds are some times unavoidable so you are down to the last resort - get the risers. Be sure to sit upright at lights, in neutral, clutch out and feet flat on the ground.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2014, 4:36 pm
Rookie

another +1 for the Pirate.
I just took off the 85mm riders from my bike. I'd be happy to make a deal. PM me for more info.
Eric
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2014, 11:28 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
Before you start changing the ergos of the bike.. especially drastically like you are suggesting... why don't you spend some time actually getting used to the bike... then decide what you need or don't need. We've been selling Verholen 50mm and 85mm risers for the K1200S for years and I don't think I've ever heard of anyone who wanted more than that...

IMHO going to 85mm really diminishes the bikes sporting characteristics... If you want over that... you may be looking at the wrong bike to purchase... My 2 doubloons.
Pirate is absolutely right here. The BMW engineers spent many, many, many hours and a ton of $$$ figuring out the ergos on the k1200s, as they do with all their bikes. So if you are in the normal range of size (5-7 to 6-2, with inseam of 30-36) the k1200s will fit you like a glove. You need to spend some time on the bike and not assume that it won't fit. Trust me, your pocketbook will thank you.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2014, 11:19 pm
Noob

I will say I do agree with Pirate, I rode mine for a bit and put Helibars on it, just a small rise and angle shift, I love the bike, but after ride, was getting me in the elbows a bit, but I can ride quite a bit now, sis not affect ergos much at all, I like the position.

But I have to say, he did come on a bit harsh in the response, I mean hell, so the guy got the year wrong, hell could have been a typo and he did not read it, I agree with Pirates points fully, but it did come off very condescending in tone, no wonder the guy never responded back with anything.

And I will probably get a bunch of crap for this, my K1200S is my first BMW but not my first bike, may not know everything about it, I am learning and that is the fun part. But just because one may know all there is to know about the bike, and may be the K1200S Guru, does not mean the rest of us are idiots.

And they may have spent tons of dollars and such on the ergonomics, handling of the bike, and everything, it is a beautiful bike. But coming from an architect for 30+ years, and I have designed building and many other structures and facilities, and I have to say they sure could have put more thought into some of the practicalities of servicing the bike too. I mean come on, having to remove the radiator to change the plugs, considering the type of cooling system and the special tools required to remove and refill the damn thing, the placement of the air filter, things that would allow some of us simple folks the ability do do some of the more routine servicing, vs. $1200 bucks for the dealer to do it. I mean I know I cannot do it all to the bike, I would love to be able to do more, but hell I really do not want to practically have to dissemble the bike to do it.

I may not be a motorcycle engineer, but even I have to design building and facilities and such that are practical for folks to use, work in and work on to maintain the life of the structures.

Well that was my little rant.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode