VISITOR interested in K1300S. Howdy! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2014, 12:31 pm Thread Starter
Noob

VISITOR interested in K1300S. Howdy!

Hi Ladies & Gents! I'm a long-term poster on the Cycle World forums.. current owner of a well-tuned & neatly modded Suzuki Bandit 12 (with 105,000 miles, runs better than new), and a Ducati 996.

I'm ruminating over the possibilites of K1300S ownership. It looks like it certainly has the GOODS i need.. something sporty & light but with long-distance legs.

But I'm concerned about the cost of ownership (after the sizeable initial layout).
- Parts / service costs (I'm not wealthy).
- Durability / robustness of the complex BMW systems
- Ability to do one's own service (I can disassemble my B12 down to the crank and rebuild it by myself.. have been a "B" mechanic in three Japanese dealerships, owned 22 bikes).

...and anything else I can glean about K bike ownership. There is a bee-yoot K13 for sale at a nearby (25 miles!) dealership.. got me dreaming!

Thanks.. any fingers pointing me in a direction will be appreciated!

'Bandit88'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2014, 3:40 am
Noob

Bmw K1300

Hey Bandit.
I Was in a similar situations, have ridden all types of bikes over the years, my last bike was a ZZR1200 which was pretty tricked up & able to have the best of both worlds sports & touring, I was not even in the market for anything new until a friend asked me to test ride the K1300S with the Hp pack, needles to say I ended up buying the bike myself & have 't looked back the best bike I have ever owned & I have been riding for 30+years! have just recently serviced the bike & price wise is not much different to anything else these days, service schedule is every 10.000ks whIch makes it as cheep as the others but if your a bit fussy like me you will change oil & filter every 5000ks anyway, have also just come back from a long trip riding 2 up with the wife on the back, middle of winter here in Australia got down to -2 heated grips were fantastic & wife also happy being pillion, have also ridden the bike pretty hard in some twisty stuff & it is definitely worth the extra dollars you pay for the trick bits, also had a close call at an intersection one afternoon with a car pulling out in front of me, I stopped with a couple of inches to spare if I was on my old bike I would have been into the side of the car, so yes there are a lot of features on this bike which I also had concerns about which were all unfounded as riding this thing is just a hoot.
Maintenance wise if you are doing things yourself it's a matter of what you want to do, I was able to purchase a good maintenance CD from my local Bmw dealer, manual is very detailed & helpful, hope all this helpsk
Cheers asch

Oh yeah almost forgot every time I get on it to go somewhere it always brings a big smile to my face hahaha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	16537  

Last edited by asch; Aug 10th, 2014 at 3:49 am.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2014, 2:26 pm
DOA

After 8 - 10K miles you forget the bike. You are wearing it like a glove, not riding it like most motorcycles. I have a lot of time on a lot of bikes, and not since my old RD350 have I felt so at home on a motorcycle.
Turn off the traction control, it can kill you.
ABS is your friend, leave it on.
If you are used to using a lot of clutch you need to change, with this motor you can be very easy on the clutch and still outrun everything in town.
Suggestions to improve the bike if you can manage the cash:
1) Light weight battery (lithium ion)
2) Full Ti exhaust
3) K&N air filters (do not modify airbox or snorkles)
4) After break in Mobil 1 (or other good synthetic) as light as your weather allows (5 - 30 for me)
At 10K miles get a good set of shocks and dial them in

I have 55K miles on mine and it has shown no weaknesses.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode