Seeking advise for purchasing 2005 K1200S - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 7:06 am Thread Starter
Noob

Seeking advise for purchasing 2005 K1200S

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and have been trying to delve into the known (or at least most likely) issues with the 1st gen K12s. I'm having a little bit of a hard time getting a handle on what I'm likely to be getting into (as far as potential issues go), so I want to post this to see if I can get a more concise grouping of thoughts from the more experienced users/owners/riders, not only about the likely issues and pitfalls, but for the bike I'm looking at.

I have the opportunity to buy a clean, 1-owner, 2005 k12s. It has ESA and what seems to be the usual list of features and options. It's always been garaged, never wrecked, and always serviced by various BMW dealers. The owner says he's never had any mechanical issues, and it currently has about 22k on it. He told me he'd sell it to me for sub-$4k (he bought a new bike so I think he just wants to move it). I feel like this is a really solid deal, but I also don't want to get myself into a maintenance nightmare. This would be the biggest bike I'll have personally owned, and it seems like a great fit for what I want to do, but I ... well I think I'm just trying to fall one way or the other off of the fence on it so I can rule it in or out.

What should I specifically be looking and listening for on a test ride? I'm not confident at this point that I know what to watch out for, and that's not a good feeling.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2014, 1:57 pm
Noob

I would pay attention to the Final drive (Diff) or as users on the forum refer to the "FD". BMW claimed it to be "lifetime maintenance free", however, personal experience has revealed, unless the gear oil in the FD has come from Hogwarts and bear the signature of Harry Potter this is but a fairy tale. The oil in the FD needs to be changed at every alternate oil change (20000Km). Have a look at what my FD look like.. 75000Km on the ODO.. http://youtu.be/NhkM1OCIJ4w the movement should be smooth. Failure of the FD will result in catastrophic failure of the FD, drive shaft and engine. Should you be fortunate to survive- you will end up with a very expensive paper weight.

The oil feeder hole to the clutch is 1mm bore, once the gasket is placed it reduces the feeder hole to 0.5mm which results in not enough oil being fed to the bearings in on the clutch shaft, this will result in clutch bearing failure. These bearings can only be bought from the agents, a costly and labour intensive exercise. Do not think of increasing the dia of the hole, this is most certainly not an option. Rather cut the gasket slightly bigger to ensure the 1mm is maintained.

Cam chain should be done at every 70000Km- 90000Km.

The K1200's do not have hydraulic lifters, this valve seating needs to be adjusted when you do the Cam chain.

Do not skip services, ensure that oil changes are done regularly- the saying is "Oil is cheaper than mechanics" truly rings true on any bike.

For the rest, you are about to embark on a AWESOME machine. HUGE power, excellent riding potential, safe (as safe as the rider rides it), ABS, the ESA is fantastic on long rides- not tiring at all. (I travelled 1600km and didn't feel like I was born and grew up on the bike) Pillion seating is excellent (Wife doesn't complain about her knees- She did howl in my ears with the GSXR K6 1000) The bike is very well balanced and steering is fantastic.

A aftermarket exhaust and sport air filters make the world of difference and you will not regret it. It is most certainly worth investing.

These are just some of the experiences I have had since I have had my bike.

I have found loads of tips and answers from this site.

Happy & safe biking.

Last edited by GavinK1200S; Aug 8th, 2014 at 2:02 pm.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2014, 12:17 pm
Noob

Thumbs up Changes to the 05

Welcome, everything that Gavin said and in my case I found the beast liked the following. K&N cone air filters
Clutch Piston enlargement Kit
Staintune muffler
I know this last one is going to draw " booos and Hisssses" a booster plug .

I loved my 05 so much that after an RR, I am back with a totally fantastic 08.

Luck Dan.

Last edited by DerEifelFahrer; Aug 9th, 2014 at 12:19 pm. Reason: Missed a comma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2014, 10:36 pm
Noob

Make sure that the ABS system has been regularly maintained. The 2005 KS came with ABSIII and if that craps out it cannot be repaired. As far as I know, other ABS modulators can be repaired but not the ABSIII. So, if it fails you can 1) pay $2300 plus installation for a new one or 2) convert the bike to a non-ABS bike. It the ABS was regularly maintained (I think they recommend flushing the wheel circuits every year and the control circuits every other year), you are probably alright. If not, I would look around for a 2006 K1200S, I believe those have the next generation ABS. Good luck. Send us pictures.

Last edited by fastbobby; Oct 15th, 2014 at 10:42 pm. Reason: had wrong service interval

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode