Buzzzzzz !! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2014, 8:35 am Thread Starter
Noob

Buzzzzzz !!

Hey Folks!
Another new K1300S owner checking in!
I pulled the trigger on Saturday and dropped 11K on a sweet 2010 right out of BMW Manhattan showroom. Only 2000 miles; some rich surgeon bought it and traded it in on a Touring model. 90-day warranty.. a Remus pipe.. cases.. all options.

My first issue is the BUZZ. I just got off a very buzzy bike (Suzuki Bandit 12), and was hoping the BMW would be much smoother. Seems not.. My 1-hour ride back home from NYC left my throttle hand in some pain.
Is this common? Any chance that I have a glitch? Any thread about that that someone could point me to?

THANKS! I hope to be a cheerful, humorous Poster here... you'll see me quite a bit.
"BANDIT" Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2014, 11:43 am Thread Starter
Noob

I've owned this machine for two weeks now.. and I'm thinking of SELLING it.

Crazy? I can't take the VIBES through the throttle. I tried the foam wraps.. they make the grips like giant marshmallows. I installed Helibars.. ($200).. they improved the ergos, by a LITTLE.
But the BUZZ is deadly. I actually brought the bike back into manhattan to complain; the service manager took it out and proclaimed that it was "Normal.. all those 1300s buzz like that".

I just rode 500 miles last weekend.. today my right hand has shooting pains. i could hardly hold onto it for the entire trip.

What's going ON here? I bought this bike figuring BMW's would be smooth as glass! This K buzzes harder than my old GSF1200 Bandit!

Help! If i can't solve this I'll have to sell the bike, rather than ride in pain.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2014, 10:41 pm
Noob

I have flirted with the idea of buying a k13s too, and have spent a lot of test ride miles on them. The only thing holding me back is the ergo's are just a little too crouched for me. As for the vibes, I thought the big 4 is no more vibey than my R12R. One thought I had is that the doctor may have taken it a little too easy on it and the cylinders may have some carbon build up. You might want to try some cleaner like seafoam in the tank (healthy dose)and flog the hell out it, ride like you stole it. You might also change the oil and use a good synthetic, @2000 miles the oil may only been changed once in the last 4 years. Check the tires too, they may be out of balance or have flat spots from sitting for so long. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2014, 7:49 am Thread Starter
Noob

Yes, thanks.. it's been suggested to me that the motor will loosen-up with miles...
Unfortunately I can't wait that long. I need a machine that can take me Interstate, and currently I am seriously concerned about nerve-damage in my palm and wrist. As i write this, my right palm has some sharp pain in an area that only started huring SINCE I BOUGHT THE K13 .
As a long-term motorcyclist, almost half-a-million road miles, having owned 24 motorcycles and worked as a mechanic in three Japanese shops, i have SOME idea of how a four-cylinder bike should operate. My best guess is that there is something WRONG with my particular unit.. (driveshaft pulses seem most likely)... but the service tech who took the bike out for a very short ride said there was nothing wrong.

When my throttle hand swells-up and I have to ice it down after a days ride... something ain't right. Hope i can alleviate this condition somehow.. otherwise the bike will have to go.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2014, 9:08 am
Noob

I feel for ya Bandit, I'm a 30 year mechanic too, and the wrists have taken a beating over the years, thats the main reason why I can't ride a bike with more than a 10deg forward lean to the bars(the k13s is 25deg). Before you jump ship on the bike, take another one out for a test ride, maybe It's the ergo's that killing you more than the vibes. Also, I would not trust the opinion of a dealer tech/service writer that would have to pay out of the dealerships pocket to repair a problem. That 90 day warranty most likely is not thru BMW. One thing I would not think was the problem would be the drive shaft, on the K the u-joint angles are very small and the shaft has a rubber vibration absorber in the middle that is very affective.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2014, 10:29 am
Noob

What did you end up doing Bandit ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode