Steering wobble - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2014, 11:49 am Thread Starter
Noob

Steering wobble

I have a k13s 2011. I've had it for about 1 1/2yrs and ride it to work mostly. Over the last 1000 miles or so, the steering has "loosened" up. When I ride at 70 mph+ speeds, it feels very unstable and seems to be getting worse. When I accelerate hard like coming out of a corner, the bars will wobble a bit. I took bike to local sd bmw dealer for some servicing and they couldn't replicate the issue, though I don't know how hard they actually tried. They told me the bike doesn't have a steering bearing to loosen as that is my first thought, a loose steering bearing. I've been riding for 35+ yrs, mostly jap bikes. My last few bikes have been zx14r, vmax, zx14, zx12r. I would expect a bmw k13s to handle equally yet at highway speeds, 70-90, the bars and stability just feels too light. At 120-150, it's actually scary light. Maybe it's my older age but I've had all my bikes well over the 150mph mark and they have all been very stable at those speeds. I've adjusted tire psi higher and lower, lower seems to make it worse. Dealer check wheels for balance and trueness, but once again, I don't know how carefully they checked. Anyone have similar experiences? Also, new to this forum, ola. Any recommendation for repair shops in San diego besides dealers? I'm gonna need a new rear tire soon and dealer quoted me $350+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2014, 2:26 pm
DOA

Things to check:
1) both wheels are true and balanced, yes, both
2) swingarm play, put the bike on a stand and see if you can move the rear wheel at all in any direction except the intended arc
3) steering damper (any oil around it means replacement)
4) change your suspension dampening settings

Post if any of this helps or hurts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2014, 1:59 pm
Noob

Sounds familiar

I had this strange experience on a second hand Triumph Sprint ST after just bying it. I thought the front brake disks where crooked, but the dealer couldn't find any problems with them. So I went to my professional Triumph technician who told me it's certainly the front tire. I thought it sounded strange as the tire looked brand new, but lo and behold, after changing it the wobble dissappeared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2014, 12:32 am
Noob

I had this happen on an older K75. Swapped tires and it was perfect.

Also, check tire pressures.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2014, 2:05 pm Thread Starter
Noob

It's been a while since I posted but I've been in and out of town since so haven't have much time. It turns out to be the front tire had some minor feathering. You'd think a dealer would be able to figure this out but nay. I had rear tire replaced and asked the mechanic to take it for spin to see what he thought. He suggested the front tire replacement is prob the issue even though front didn't have much depth wear was a little uneven. Bike rides like new again and had both tires replaced for less than what dealer wanted just to do the rear tire. The dealers here in San diego (all 2) don't have a great rep for service and I see why. Thanks for suggestions!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 9:57 pm

K12 woes

Had this problem this summer and had noticed that front end was loose when lifting the bike in the front to change a tire and solved it by changing the ball joints . the next month my dads k12 2005 failed snd died from the crash by breaking his neck ! Maybe i should condider talking to my lawyer. ????

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode