Thinking about a K1200S - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2014, 12:01 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thinking about a K1200S

Hello fellow BMW riders, I am new on the forum and Iíve been trolling around for a couple weeks doing research and have a couple nagging questions that I canít seem to get a clear answer on yet. First a little intro, I live in AZ and ride one of my two BMW bikes every day (both Y2K: R1200C and a K1200LT) shine or shine (virtually never rains). The R1200C has a special place in my heart and I am looking to slow down the accumulation of miles / wear and tear on it since it is getting ever harder to find parts for at a price that doesnít astound (e.g. a recent eBay auction for a set of used engine guards went for $800). To that end I am looking for something to share that daily abuse load, and expand my riding diversity a little. I have decided that as I draw in on 40 in a couple months it must be time for a mid-life crisis so I am thinking a K1200S, more specifically a 2007 chiefly because of the paint scheme available in that year:

Question 1: What I want to know is which ABS module was installed in 2007, was that ABS III with servo assist (integral ABS first generation part # 34 51 7 698 296) or the newer ABS system (I ABS II part 34 51 7 715 109)? From looking at parts fiche it looks like they either switched over for the 2007 model year or else during the 2007 model year. I have determined from looking at the ABS recall thread here on this site that the specific one I have been thinking about calling on is post-recall based on the VIN (ZM29065).

Question 2: If I try the K1200S and find the riding a bit too aggressive for my taste (I am a fairly tame rider and rarely explore the performance limits of the bikes I have so this would be overkill), I have a fallback position to explore the GT, however it appears to me that the ABS was not switched over to the newer version on the GT until 2009 with the K1300, am I right on that?

The í07 ad I have been burning into my computer screen over the last couple weeks has me almost ready to call the guy to look at it but I just want to make sure I donít waste his time or mine if the ABS is that servo system rather than the newer module. I think with the help of this site I have identified many of the things to look for, and if I understand what Iíve read many of the issues were resolved by 2007 (cam chain etc.) but Iíll always take any info or advice on that front if offered.

Thanks,
Steve

2000 R1200C - The Honey Badger
2000 K1200LT - The Blue Luxo-Barge

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2014, 6:26 pm
Noob

Hi Steve

I had a 2007 K1200GT until last January when I got a demo 2013 K1300S.

My K1200GT had all the usual issues. Bad fuel strip sender, cam chain tensioner and chain guard (which I did myself only to have them recall it later), and a bad ABS (which I repaired myself. It was the stuck brush problem).

In the summer of 2013 rode a K1200S belonging to a friend. It had an exhilaration that I last had when I rode the K1200GT for the first time.

I am not an aggressive rider at all, but the ride is stunning. I love it so much I took an advanced rider training course in May to build my confidence in the turns. The course also had braking exercises that were awesome. I can now stop the bike in about 1/3 of the distance compared to before if there is an emergency l(like a deer...)

Go take it for a test ride. You will love it!

Dennis
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2014, 10:31 am
Enthusiast

Garage
Red face

Question 1: What I want to know is which ABS module was installed in 2007, was that ABS III with servo assist *****

The 07 on S does not have the servo assist

Question 2: If I try the K1200S and find the riding a bit too aggressive for my taste (I am a fairly tame rider and rarely explore the performance limits of the bikes I have so this would be overkill********

The 07 on GT does not have the servo assist

Owning an 07 K12GT, I would suggest you go for the K1300 rather than the K1200 most of the problems have been replaced with less expensive ones on the K13

The S really is not that aggressive of a riding position, but it does not have as good passenger accommodations as the GT

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2014, 9:05 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the info guys, I'm going to give the guy a call and try to see it this weekend. It looks like these things don't move very quickly but this one is priced where I want it and is the paint scheme above. It also has side cases which I must have and 1 year of extended warranty left so I'm just hoping it looks as good in real life as it does in pictures.

One final question I have come up with is it looks like tires need replacing on this thing about every 5K at most, is that right or old data? If there was an option that would get a little more distance I would be interested, this bike has about 100 hp more than I will ever use and I'll never be dragging my knee with it, mostly commuting back and forth to work. I run out of nerve long before either of my current bikes run out of performance, and with an R1200C in that list that should give some idea of my riding habits.

2000 R1200C - The Honey Badger
2000 K1200LT - The Blue Luxo-Barge

Last edited by copperstaterider; Nov 13th, 2014 at 9:06 am. Reason: correct spelling error
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2014, 10:40 pm
cws

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperstaterider
One final question I have come up with is it looks like tires need replacing on this thing about every 5K at most, is that right or old data? If there was an option that would get a little more distance I would be interested, this bike has about 100 hp more than I will ever use and I'll never be dragging my knee with it, mostly commuting back and forth to work. I run out of nerve long before either of my current bikes run out of performance, and with an R1200C in that list that should give some idea of my riding habits.
Hi Steve... do some reading up on the Michellin PR4 GT tyres . The PR4's are their latest, and the GT denotes stiffer sidewalls.
Running a pair of PR4's on the K12GT (standard PR4 front, GT PR4 rear) and so far loving them looks like they'll last quite a while also. I'm using it primarly for commuting too.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2014, 8:28 pm
Noob

Hi Steve,

John here in Sacramento Ca, I have the K1200S and I was hooked on the test ride, and had to have it. I have the model pictured, with the panniers, love the bike, but will warn you the service costs can be a bit high as I am learning, but honestly I am still happy with the bike, it is a great ride, and I love commuting on mine.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 8:18 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVezirian
Hi Steve,

John here in Sacramento Ca, I have the K1200S and I was hooked on the test ride, and had to have it. I have the model pictured, with the panniers, love the bike, but will warn you the service costs can be a bit high as I am learning, but honestly I am still happy with the bike, it is a great ride, and I love commuting on mine.
X2 .... I just picked up a '07 K12S and share your opinion. Love the bike and will learn to accept the added cost of ownership. Mine is the same color as that pictured above.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2015, 2:45 pm

Abs

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperstaterider
Hello fellow BMW riders, I am new on the forum and Iíve been trolling around for a couple weeks doing research and have a couple nagging questions that I canít seem to get a clear answer on yet. First a little intro, I live in AZ and ride one of my two BMW bikes every day (both Y2K: R1200C and a K1200LT) shine or shine (virtually never rains). The R1200C has a special place in my heart and I am looking to slow down the accumulation of miles / wear and tear on it since it is getting ever harder to find parts for at a price that doesnít astound (e.g. a recent eBay auction for a set of used engine guards went for $800). To that end I am looking for something to share that daily abuse load, and expand my riding diversity a little. I have decided that as I draw in on 40 in a couple months it must be time for a mid-life crisis so I am thinking a K1200S, more specifically a 2007 chiefly because of the paint scheme available in that year:

Question 1: What I want to know is which ABS module was installed in 2007, was that ABS III with servo assist (integral ABS first generation part # 34 51 7 698 296) or the newer ABS system (I ABS II part 34 51 7 715 109)? From looking at parts fiche it looks like they either switched over for the 2007 model year or else during the 2007 model year. I have determined from looking at the ABS recall thread here on this site that the specific one I have been thinking about calling on is post-recall based on the VIN (ZM29065).

Question 2: If I try the K1200S and find the riding a bit too aggressive for my taste (I am a fairly tame rider and rarely explore the performance limits of the bikes I have so this would be overkill), I have a fallback position to explore the GT, however it appears to me that the ABS was not switched over to the newer version on the GT until 2009 with the K1300, am I right on that?

The í07 ad I have been burning into my computer screen over the last couple weeks has me almost ready to call the guy to look at it but I just want to make sure I donít waste his time or mine if the ABS is that servo system rather than the newer module. I think with the help of this site I have identified many of the things to look for, and if I understand what Iíve read many of the issues were resolved by 2007 (cam chain etc.) but Iíll always take any info or advice on that front if offered.

Thanks,
Steve
Hi
I am looking at a K1200s, here is the reply I got from another Forum when I asked about the servo ABS:
kmark1200rs, I think you'll find they stopped the electronic servo assist after 2006 but the simply way to tell is when you turn the bike on if it has the servo assist you'll hear a whining noise as the electric motor powers up and pressurises the system. If you then pull on the front brake lever you'll hear it go again as it maintains the pressure.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2015, 2:56 pm

Ergo

Steve

This website is useful: http://cycle-ergo.com/

it gives you an pretty good idea of seating positions for lots of bikes.
My present bike is a 1998 K1200rs. The K1200s lean forward angle is 10 degrees more than my bike, hip and knee much the same.
I recently had a go on a K1200s 2005, seating position was good, the seat angle seemed to push you towards the tank.
The performance was staggering

I am still hoping to buy one

Mark
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2015, 9:54 am
Noob

Lovin it

Hi Guys, I've been riding R bikes since 1956 (R67/2) and have been fortunate enough to have at least one BMW in my Garage ever since. I went to the dark side with a Bumblebee 2005, purchased new,never a problem. Sold it to buy an RR in09 which was delivered in 2010. Sold it when my old body complained(I am 77). Presently rolling on a 08 1200S, I' sorted the swifter (Ball Bearing fix), ECA mapping, Clutch cylinder upgrade etc etc. She's Perfect and will cruise three digits all day long. This is one of the smoothest most comfortable fastest combinations I have owned, You can't go wrong with these machines, like anything purchased pre-owned check the maintenance records and make sure it's been meticulously serviced. Bon Chance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode