K1200s ABS Modulator failure - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2015, 6:15 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Angry K1200s ABS Modulator failure

Hi,

I have a 2008 K1200s with 14,000 miles on the clock. Always been serviced promptly by my local BMW dealership. A few weeks ago I got the bike out of hibernation and began using it to commute to work. Everything fine except the battery was a bit weak and not holding it's charge very well, so I replaced it. I then began to get the red Brake Failure warning on the dashboard.

As the service and MOT were due soon I decided to carry on carefully until then. No problem until the dealer told me that I needed a new ABS Modulator at 950 + labour

Has anyone else had the same problem ? Will the brakes continue to work safely without this ? Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2015, 8:02 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
the brakes will work fine, but you will not have ABS.
There are a couple of companies that will rebuild the ABS unit for around $350 us dollars

also http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=41457

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=52848

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...&highlight=abs

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2015, 7:31 am
Rookie

Try BBA Reman ( a UK company )
I think I read on another forum that they are now charging 195 to repair the unit with a lifetime guarantee.
You will need to remove the module yourself and send it to them then reinstall it.
Your brakes will still work fine and the ABS is not a MOT failure.
James Sherlock is offering a service to disable the ABS light for around 50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushfox
Hi,

I have a 2008 K1200s with 14,000 miles on the clock. Always been serviced promptly by my local BMW dealership. A few weeks ago I got the bike out of hibernation and began using it to commute to work. Everything fine except the battery was a bit weak and not holding it's charge very well, so I replaced it. I then began to get the red Brake Failure warning on the dashboard.

As the service and MOT were due soon I decided to carry on carefully until then. No problem until the dealer told me that I needed a new ABS Modulator at 950 + labour

Has anyone else had the same problem ? Will the brakes continue to work safely without this ? Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Last edited by Bigmc; Apr 12th, 2015 at 7:41 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode