Brake problems - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2015, 2:29 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Brake problems

Hi everyone. In need of a bit of advice please.
I own a 12k 05 k1200r. Very happy until the other week when my rear brake caliper decided to apply itself. Abs light started flashing, warning triangle.Brake caliper had got quite hot by this time. Pulled over ignition off. Turned it back on brake then released itself, no flashing light. Rode home all good.
Roughly 100 miles later it did it again but I felt the drag this time before I got the warning lights. Pulled over ignition off,back on no problem again.
Soooo. Obviously got a bit of an issue.
Earler this year I fitted new front brake pads, so had to push back the pistons and pump back up again. Also fitted a new battery.
I have no experience of BMW linked brakes but decided to pop the front bar master cylinder, wierdly inside there was a kind of lump of emulsified brake fluid. The fluid was last flushed in 2013 according to service book.
Is it likely that the rest of the brake fluid may be contaminated and this has caused a valve or pump to stick on, applying the rear brake? Or may it be electrical/sensor related?

ANY help greatly appreciated. At the minute my thought is to get the fluid flushed and replaced and hope this sorts things out....

Cheers. Ian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2015, 6:36 pm
Rookie

For sure flush the system, (all circuits not just the front and rear control circuits ). I had a similiar problem and tried a combo of fixes all at once and fixed it, in the end I am wondering if the flush fixed a sticky ABS piston, I thought it had been flushed thoughly but on the second round I got a stream of dark fluid from the pump side of the brake circuit. Can you hear the servo running at all when you have the problem?

Also, in the end I'm fairly sure my rear brake pedal switch was marginal, causing part of the problem (this switch is what triggers the servo). I would just replace it as part of your process at this point, the harness connector is way up under the tank area so you will be stripping stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode