High-Speed Stalling Issue - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2015, 7:55 pm Thread Starter

Garage
High-Speed Stalling Issue

Hi all,

I am looking for good advise from the K1300s experts. I was riding my 2010 K1300s and came upon a new issue. High speed stalling was never an issue with the bike and low speed stalling was so infrequent that I gave up considering that an issue.

This week I rode the bike from Southern California to Billing MT and the bike started exhibiting a new response, which was when I would try to increase my speed the bike would stall. Pulling in the clutch and giving the bike more throttle would sometimes bring the bike back to life. Other times I would pull in the clutch hit the start button and the bike would fire back up. If this occurred once I would have written this off. But over the course of the ride this event occurred more than 20 times. I thought this could be bad gas but in the course of 1000 miles I filled put a few times. All of this was occurring while I was riding a range between 70 and 85 mph.

I did find that when the bike was sitting at the filling station, if I opened the throttle wide open, turned on the ignition for 10 seconds, and turned off the ignition, the bike would exhibit the issue less frequently.

Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be. I have had all the BMW updates and I am up to date on service.

Howard

Motosport 2015 K1300S
Tricolor 2010 K1300S
Capri Blue 2003 K1200RS (SOLD)
Red 1994 k75 (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2015, 1:56 pm Thread Starter

Garage
problem continues

To those who suggested the TPS reset, I thank you for your suggestion. The dealer replaced the idle control parts. I was not sure this did anything but we will see.

Yesterday, I was riding the bike, in the morning the temp was in the low 70s, which was a perfect ride temp and everything was fine. Later on the temp was in the upper 90s, went over a hill at about 80 mph, decelerated by decreasing the amount of throttle to about 75, upon giving more throttle, my old friend the big hesitation was back and the bike stalled at speed. Pulled in the clutch, hit the start button and the bike came back to life. Released the clutch and continued riding. Next hill arrived and the bike did this again.

So I am back to wondering what in the fueling or ignition system could be causing this issue?

Just to reduce questions, the bike is a 2010 K1300s with 70,000 miles. The bike is serviced every 6000 miles by the dealer.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Howard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmeiseles
Hi all,

I am looking for good advise from the K1300s experts. I was riding my 2010 K1300s and came upon a new issue. High speed stalling was never an issue with the bike and low speed stalling was so infrequent that I gave up considering that an issue.

This week I rode the bike from Southern California to Billing MT and the bike started exhibiting a new response, which was when I would try to increase my speed the bike would stall. Pulling in the clutch and giving the bike more throttle would sometimes bring the bike back to life. Other times I would pull in the clutch hit the start button and the bike would fire back up. If this occurred once I would have written this off. But over the course of the ride this event occurred more than 20 times. I thought this could be bad gas but in the course of 1000 miles I filled put a few times. All of this was occurring while I was riding a range between 70 and 85 mph.

I did find that when the bike was sitting at the filling station, if I opened the throttle wide open, turned on the ignition for 10 seconds, and turned off the ignition, the bike would exhibit the issue less frequently.

Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be. I have had all the BMW updates and I am up to date on service.

Howard

Motosport 2015 K1300S
Tricolor 2010 K1300S
Capri Blue 2003 K1200RS (SOLD)
Red 1994 k75 (SOLD)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode