Deer and animal avoidance systems - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 1:18 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Deer and animal avoidance systems

Our local Utah/Wyoming mountains have a lot of wild life (elk, deer, etc.), plus a good bit of free range livestock (cows, sheep). Never drive at dusk/night because of this, but the free range animals frequently trespass on the roads even in daylight, while the wildlife is drawn to same once the mountain shadows cover the road as early as 3 pm in some areas. Plus there are those occasional misplanned trips where I find myself miles from home with dusk/night approaching.

Does anybody have any experience with the deer/animal avoidance systems on the market? I know Hornet makes an electrical system that emits a high pitch sound to scare the animals away, and I've seen others that work simply with airflow. Does anyone know if any of these systems are effective or know of another type that is.

Greetings from the Wasatch front
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 2:24 pm
Addict

I have been using one for years, keeps animals far away. Buy a hunting license and carry a gun. Other than that I dont think any of the sonar,noise maker types do squat. Better lighting and one eye on the bar ditches is all I can tell ya.Remember their eyes glow in the dark like fireflies. Even a rabbit can be nasty, had one get stuck in the front wheel once, not good. Ride safe.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 4:11 pm
Veteran

noise

Tried them over here , none I know of work. Some animals also react differently. Stupid galahs come up in a flock at the last moment, perform every aerobatic manouvre before slamming into you. Emus will charge from perfect safety, leaving their grazing partners to T bone you. You just have to lower your speed and stay alert at dawn and dusk. Do not rely on any market product, I have tried them and they may cause a reaction you do not need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 5:14 pm
Addict

avoiding animals

For years I thought I was "safer", lulled into a sense of false security by using a pair of the air whistles on the bike...that is until I T-boned a deer that jumped in front of me. It was hell on the Ducati (and me) but much worse for the deer. Now, I limit riding at dawn and dusk when the animals are on the move seeking water. Nothing takes the place of "see and avoid".
Pete
'05 K-S
Full Ti Remus, Evoluzione air filters, PIAA H-7s, MRA Touring windshield, ThrottleMeister, clear lenses F/R, GPS, V-1, XM, AutoCom, lots of CF
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 8:12 pm
Riding in company

What's a galah?

BillA
Jersey Shore
K1200RS '04
BSA Victor '68ish
Club Car golf cart '92
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 9:01 pm
Veteran

Galah

Stupid person....Or a parrot, grey , white, pink feathers. Learns to talk quickly in captivity, hard to shut up. Common insult here is to call someone a galah (pronounced gul aah)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 1:45 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmm
I have been using one for years, keeps animals far away. Buy a hunting license and carry a gun.
Jimmm ... yours is the best advice I've seen in years ... now if I could just figure out how to get the meat home without bloodying up the paint job ... and the thought of free range beef also sounds good, if I could get the ranchers to understand.

I must say the pair of Fiamm horns I bought from Pirate at least get the freerange animals on the side of the road from getting any closer to it (so far), but once they're on the asphault, they just stand there immobilzed while looking look at what's making all the fuss ... me bearing down on them and slowing to walking speed. The wildlife is nearly as dumb whilst on the road, but you never know what they'll do in reaction to the Fiamms when off-road.

Thanks for everyone's advice and observation ... maybe it's just better to stay away from some of the great rides thru sheep country in particular. Mutton anybody?

Greetings from the Wasatch front
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 7:00 pm
Addict

I ride in country with a lot of wildlife, and just watch my speed at the" witching hour" and keep an eye on the side of the road. I find animals more predictable than cage drivers.At least I know its nothing personal if they jump in front of me. Keep plenty of garlic and a crock pot on hand. Most road kill is pretty good! Helps to take the collar and tags off tho before your company shows up.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 8:23 pm
Enthusiast

When you can do it safely, I ride as close to the center line as possible, thus increasing the distance from either side of the road in case of critter encounter. Saved me once crossing Canada at dusk.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2006, 12:10 am
Enthusiast

I've used a device called a SHU ROO for long road trips at night in my 4WD throughout Australia. The device broadcasts a high frequency sound at around 130 db that is designed to "alarm" kangaroos. You can't hear anything more than a phased type of clicking but the non audible sound pressure is enough to be painful to my ears at 15m or less. I've done a lot of long night runs on roads without any roos wanting to stay on the road in front of the vehicle.

The unit is 6 years old and the physical size of it probably rules out any practical installation on a bike in this form but I believe the manufacturers were developing similar products for other markets. Try a Google search for SHU ROO. I have no idea what they currently produce.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode