Instaling HID kit need some info - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2006, 12:59 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Instaling HID kit need some info

Hi I plan to install one H7 10,000K hid bulb and balast in the low beam. Has anybody experianced any problems with any error messages or anything else coming up on the bikes computer. I also plan to replace the hi beam bulbs with PIAA extreme bulbs. If anybody has any info I might need please let me know. Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2006, 2:48 am
Enthusiast

Lot of useful info on HID install and bulbs on page 3. Try a search or review the 'similar threads' panel - there's a good depth of info available.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2006, 8:29 am
Addict

You'll like the light if you do it but 10,000 K seems a bit high. The output of a HID lamp drops very quickly as the colour temp rises in the blue. As the lamp ages it will go even higher. I went for 6500 specifically for daylight viz. but if you want a tad more brightness and draw less attention, drop down to 3500-4000.

On balance I preferred to be more visible, evidenced in daylight by cages I follow which sloooow down (a pain), peds that look round, and bikers coming the other way giving my bike a big stare (What's up doc, how'd he get that light from a Vision Plus!!)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2006, 8:33 am
Maladroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkactetx
Hi I plan to install one H7 10,000K hid bulb and balast in the low beam. Has anybody experianced any problems with any error messages or anything else coming up on the bikes computer. I also plan to replace the hi beam bulbs with PIAA extreme bulbs. If anybody has any info I might need please let me know. Thank You
Way, Way too much K there pal. You will be blinding people with 10,000 K! It will also
be purplish in color and in Texas anyway you would have a tough time getting it inspected

I installed a 5200k in my k1200rs and it was slightly blue but very powerful. About 3 times as bright as stock IMO. If i had to do it over I would go witha 4500K.

As far as the k1200s lights go I think their pretty good. High beam is excellent
Low beam not bad enough to upgrade, ymmv.

Eric

Eric
Austin
r12gs,k12s
Waste some time watching my videos at google or youtube
"I hate every bone in your body, except mine" -Willie Nelson
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2006, 10:32 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the help guys I installed the 9000k HID in the low beam I placed the balast next to the computer found under the left faring. I found it very strange that the computer is held together by two bunge cords. I put about 100 miles so far and I just cant beleive the difference. Thank You
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2006, 1:42 pm
Addict

My ECU is on the right under the gas tank, well fixed in position out of harms way - but yours is an S and mine is a KRS so probably a difference.

If you are running the ballast with integral ignitor, I hope you don't get any problems with the ECU computer being so close as the HID ignition pulse is 25kV and there's a hundred volts plus exiting the ballast unit.

Favorite places for KRS are usually on the left above the oil cooler pipe or right on the airbox. Both places keep the wires to the lamp short. HID ballasts and ignitors are definitely things I'd keep well clear of the gas tank and sensitive electrics! Don't forget they aren't fitted as oem on bikes, so you're the designer and have to take a lot of care thinking about issues a prudent vehicle designer would consider.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode