K1200S Range - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2006, 11:10 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

K1200S Range

Great forum. I just discovered it today. I'm getting tired of my 03 interceptor and have been lusting after a K1200S. Am ready to buy it but would like to know what can I reasonably expect to get for tank range riding combo of twisties, highway at "cruising speeds". I would like to be able to go 200-220 miles between fillups. Can't wait to get the bike and put some miles on it. Current ride other than the interceptor is '04 Aprilia RSV Factory. Love it but once I've ridden 50 or so miles on the highway to get to the twisties, I've had it. Am going to keep it but the K bike seems to be a much more useable. Thanks for your help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2006, 3:59 am

You would have to ride pretty conservatively to get 200-220. I think 140 to 160 is a more likely range.

BMW K1200S
BMW HP2 Sport
Yamaha WR 250
www.bbot.co.uk
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2006, 6:56 am

At a constant 5500-6000 rpm cruise(95-100mph) my K12S does low 40's mpg. One up w/ bags full. If you are tired of that VFR, you can drop it off at my house. Nice bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2006, 1:41 am
Addict

mileage

Well, after a year of ownership and thousands of miles of mixed riding I can safely say it's impossible to get 220 miles from a tank. I think 200 is a stretch....
One doesn't own an S for extended touring distances...it's too much damn fun for THAT. Besides my old butt needs to get off the machine every few hours anyway. Plan on 160 to 180 miles. Good luck.
Pete
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2006, 4:11 am
hdf
Maestro de Turismo

For purely scientific reasons (as in I'm a moron for not paying closer attention to the fuel gauge) I ran my bike dry. I was riding the exact combination you mention - mountain twisties, highways, etc.

Distance covered 334 km. (that's a tad over 200 miles). You'll be wanting to fill up at around 180 miles, as most others on the post are saying.

My only saving grace was that she clonked out on me right at the crest of the mountain and I was able to coast her down for the next two miles, stopping some 500 yards from the gas station.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2006, 3:55 pm
"DELIVERS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmr
At a constant 5500-6000 rpm cruise(95-100mph) my K12S does low 40's mpg. One up w/ bags full. If you are tired of that VFR, you can drop it off at my house. Nice bike.
95-100mph for at least 4 hours straight, eh? UDAMAN TIMMR!... :wtf

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2006, 10:33 am

Does any one know how truthful the range meter is on the bike when it says you have 50km range left? Does it means that staying at the same speed you have about 50km before the bike stutters to a stop or does it happen sooner say at 10-20km mark?

Tim
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2006, 11:36 am
hdf
Maestro de Turismo

When the range meter gets to 0 you still have some 20-30 km. left in the tank. I have run it past 0 on a few occasions and except for that time I ran it dry (it went 34 km. past it before it ran dry) I have always had a liter or two left in the tank.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2006, 8:11 am
Just saying hey

Fuel Remaining After 0 Range

I have filled my bike 3 times when the range reads 0 or (---) and it always takes about 4.2 gallons to fill it and reads about 185mi. That would leave about .8 gallons and 35mi residual still in the tank. This assumes that the tank holds 5 gallons and is all usable fuel.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2006, 7:26 pm

Smile The small tank syndrome

When I first got the K1200S, my fuel level indicator reported 0 at 200km. But when I filled the tank it took only 17.5 L of fuel. I just thought my tank might be smaller due to a manufacturing defect.

After suffering the small syndrome for 4-months, I gathered up my courage and asked my dealer to test the tank's fuel capacity. Dave, my "personal" mechanic emptied the tank, let the fuel level sensor strip dry out for an hour, and reset the fuel level sensor using the BMW Motorrad computer linkup. The BMW software is not very intuitive, and it took us a while to locate the option. I filled the tank up with 19.0 L. And the fuel level indicator reported the max. bars/ full. No problem with the tank; just required resetting the sensor.

I left thinking all was solved. I rode my K1200S for 200km and my fuel level indicator reported 0. And when it took only 17 L of fuel to fill up I knew how to fix it.

Do you know?

My bike was not empty when I rode in originally to the dealership. The indicator reported I had 50 kms to go. And the software got confused.

So, I rode the bike until the indicator showed 0 kms to go. And I rode it for 25 kms more (hey, maybe I'm not small after all). THEN Dave and I emptied the tank, dried out the fuel level sensor for an hour, and then reset the sensor using the BMW Motorrad software.

Now the problem is solved. When the fuel indicator says 0 kms to go, I usually have 5 to 10 kms left. My bike takes 19.01 L. The indicator is out slightly because my fuel consumption changes when I see the indicator down to "30 kms to go". I drop the revs and shift to higher gears. The indicator estimates the "kms to go" based on my consumption before. So I seem to have a 0.2 L to spare at 0 kms.

But more importantly, I no longer suffer the small syndrome.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode