How can I tell if an "S" has ABS? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2006, 8:32 pm Thread Starter
DrJ

How can I tell if an "S" has ABS?

I'm looking to buy a used '05 "S" from a friend who sells a lot of bikes, but doesn't know much about BMW's. He "thinks" the bike has ABS because it is otherwise loaded with heated grips, ESA & computer; however, there is nothing we can find on the bike that shows it has ABS. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2006, 9:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ
I'm looking to buy a used '05 "S" from a friend who sells a lot of bikes, but doesn't know much about BMW's. He "thinks" the bike has ABS because it is otherwise loaded with heated grips, ESA & computer; however, there is nothing we can find on the bike that shows it has ABS. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
on the left side of the front wheel will be a slotted ring just slightly smaller than the brake rotor
yes? ABS
no? you are on your own. : - )
or ride in some stones and try to lock the front wheel
H
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2006, 9:07 pm Thread Starter
DrJ

The slotted wheel is there! Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2006, 10:17 am

Well, iv heard that its the same sensor for ABS as for speedo, so then the sloted ring is there anyhow, but if u turn on the ign, there shal be a flashing red ABS sign, witch disapear when the bikes roll.

K1200S -05
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2006, 11:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ
Easy, after you have turned on the ignition, once the diagnostics finished, squeeze the hand brake, you will hear a long whizzing electronics sound (like R2-D2 when he turns his neck) as the ABS works. Release the brake, you will hear it too.

Tim
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2006, 11:57 am

Thats the sound of the electrical servo, its there wheter u have ABS or not.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2006, 12:59 pm
Addict

On a straight road and upright, hit the foot brake hard at 30mph. If it's got it you'll soon know, if you get a locked rear then either it's there and not working or it's not there at all.

You wouldn't have 2 ABS rings for one speedo, one on each wheel would you? Anyway the speedo used to come off its own sensor on the tranni. Most bikes had labels front and rear indicating the specified feeler gage clearance from the sensor to the abs toothed ring - they say 'ABS' on them. Don't they fit these anymore?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR1200
Well, iv heard that its the same sensor for ABS as for speedo, so then the sloted ring is there anyhow, but if u turn on the ign, there shal be a flashing red ABS sign, witch disapear when the bikes roll.

K1200S -05
NOT true. I have a non-ABS bike and there is NO ring.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2006, 1:10 pm

Garage
Ring/speedo separate items

The rings are independant of the speedo. I had a speedo failure with no problems with my ABS.

The rings on the wheels, (on a '00 and similar bikes, they are teeth rather than holes) are in fact the ABS sensor. The speedometer sensor is in the final drive. The shaft makes a 90 degree turn to the wheel. Encased in the enclosure is the final shaft to the wheel, surrounding that is a sleeve which is "scalloped" which spins, then a magnetic sensor detects the intteruptions and transmits to the speedo. Older bikes actually have the sensor pickup on the outside (a wire is coming out of the final drive).

FWIW, my speedo failure was that this sleeve has moved off the drive and was no longer spinning as it should. This piece is glued on by the factory (no real lateral force on it to speak of). I pushed it back onto the drive and it has had no issues since!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2006, 1:29 pm
Addict

Chilie, I remember many past postings on 'intermittent' speedos and maybe yours was one solution. The 'Jury' still seemed to be out though on intermittent electrical faults and exactly where they were.

Like most I disturbed the wiring, the speedo started working and it's worked ever since, but my bike hasn't been drenched in rain so much since the last time, so I could really find out the cause. Did you open the drive casing to glue it back?? Didn't mean to hijack DrJ's thread, but he has his answers now.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode