Broken Down - Help! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2016, 2:39 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Broken Down - Help!

So on my way home from work the bike stalled as I slowed down at some lights.
It was then very hard to turn over and made a noise which I though was the starter not disengaging.
I thought it was a flat battery or dead starter motor.

When the recovery guy tried a jump it started but with a horrible noise from the motor and would not run.
His immediate reaction was cam chain tensioner.
Now I've done a little research into this while sitting in the recovery truck, and his diagnosis seems likely.

What I need now is advice as to the next steps.

The bike was serviced by BMW about 50 miles ago (22k).
I realise if the cam slipped it could be fu-bared but how do I tell? Can I just take off the cam cover and see if the chain has slipped? How do I tell this?

If the tensioner is broken, how do I tell?

I'm pretty handy and am not afraid to take things apart if there's any easy diagnosis I can do.

Any advice gladly received. - I've also posted this on another Beemer website but I'm totally desperate, and really orried about the bike so sorry if you already read this some-place else too :-)
Thanks in anticipation, Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2016, 6:12 am
Noob

Hi, just wondered how you got on with this issue, sorry I couldn't help you, I've only just joined the group myself. I'm in portsmouth btw. Got a 2005 K1200r, I've had an S too that I bought brand new, had new clutch and gearbox fitted within the first year! Soon got shot of it for a 1200gs. All the best mate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode