Clutch rattle - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2016, 2:58 am Thread Starter
Noob

Clutch rattle

My 2005 35k has a clutch rattle, it disappears as soon as the clutch is pulled in, no slip, nothing and the bike goes like stink. I love it. But the rattle is annoying. Dealer says nothing bad will come of it but it is annoying. They mentioned clutch baskets or something. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2016, 7:15 am

Garage
I'm on my 5th year with an '08 K 1200S. After my first year I didn't like the gear clunk I was getting so I put a Barnett Clutch in and it cut the clunk way down to a manageable level.

I'm a very long time rider (over 50 years) and I'm used to seeing steel rails inserted in Alum. clutch housings to handle friction. Well that is a thing of the past and everybody is running stamped steel plates on raw Alum. and that just plays Hell with the longevity of surfaces carrying the loads.

The only solution I could come up with short of remanufacturing the basket was to take the new set of Barnett steels and very carefully debur the sharp edges left from stamping and then polish a very small radius on those edges with Scotchbrite. It was a hell of a lot of work doing every lobe on the steels and there are a lot of plates and nobody wants to do it.nowadays because it would add a huge labor cost to the part. The only way to get good finishing work now is to do it yourself. I did and I'm sure it has added years to the basket life and the clutch is very smooth.

I did the work with very small fine cut hand files. Do not sail into your plates with powered sanders or grinders hoping to get it done in an hour. It will ruin the plates. It took me about 3 days doing the work by hand. If you're short on patience or don't have good hand skills, don't mess with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode