Touring on a K1300S - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2016, 4:09 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Touring on a K1300S

Hello All,

New to the forums, but riding for decades. My quick story: I have had standards or cruisers most of my life. Only BMW was a 1994 K75, lots of brands including two Harleys. About a year ago, I got a wild hair up my kazoo and bought a leftover VFR1200F at an awfully good price. All I can say is I have been kicking myself ever since for waiting so long to get a motorcycle with that level of performance! I love it. However, the VFR pretty much is lacking every conceivable creature comfort, and I miss them on long rides. BTW, when I say long, I recently went from South Florida to Austin Texas, solo (and wanted to keep going). The VFR is also not the most stable bike on the highway (not bad, but truck turbulence definitely gets your attention). From what I have read, the KS is very stable. Comfort wise, I can ride the VFR all day, but my throttle hand complains a lot after a while. Of course, I added a throttle lock, but they really only work well on flat roads with no traffic. In any event, I wanted to ask about all-day, multiple day comfort on the KS. I know the GT or RT will be comfortable, but I like less "stuff" than that. What say you?

Thanks,

Paul

Last edited by SportCruiser; Mar 15th, 2016 at 4:29 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2016, 9:11 am

Hi Paul,

I own a 2006 K1200s that I typically ride within the state of Colorado, my longest in-state trip was a little over 300 miles. My lone multi-day trip on this bike was to Torrey, Utah, which is 502 miles from my driveway.

This trip entailed lots of mountain pass riding en route to I70 at Grand Junction and then interstate riding into Utah for a few hundred miles. This is a trip I've usually done on my comfortable R1150RT (boxer engined sports tourer) so I was initially hesitant to take the more aggressively styled K12.

The I70 portion through UT was windy as hell which is normal. The K12 handled it well thanks in part to its heft. Still, the winds along this portion of I70 are legendary and known to topple large trucks. I arrived in Torrey fine albeit with my head feeling like that of a bobble head doll. I spent the next two days on some seriously twisty roads before loading up and haulin' ass back to CO. The return leg took me through a minor snow storm but otherwise had me back home feeling great.

It helps to have heated hand grips and it would have been nice to have cruise control, that's something I can choose to add later. I wouldn't hesitate to take the K12 on a multi state trip again.

For the record, I'm 6-1 with a 32" inseam. I hope this helps and that others here chime in with their experiences.

Regards,
Randy
'02 RT nacht black
'05 Ducati ST3 black
'06 K12S bumble bee
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2016, 11:51 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky
Hi Paul,

I own a 2006 K1200s that I typically ride within the state of Colorado, my longest in-state trip was a little over 300 miles. My lone multi-day trip on this bike was to Torrey, Utah, which is 502 miles from my driveway.

This trip entailed lots of mountain pass riding en route to I70 at Grand Junction and then interstate riding into Utah for a few hundred miles. This is a trip I've usually done on my comfortable R1150RT (boxer engined sports tourer) so I was initially hesitant to take the more aggressively styled K12.

The I70 portion through UT was windy as hell which is normal. The K12 handled it well thanks in part to its heft. Still, the winds along this portion of I70 are legendary and known to topple large trucks. I arrived in Torrey fine albeit with my head feeling like that of a bobble head doll. I spent the next two days on some seriously twisty roads before loading up and haulin' ass back to CO. The return leg took me through a minor snow storm but otherwise had me back home feeling great.

It helps to have heated hand grips and it would have been nice to have cruise control, that's something I can choose to add later. I wouldn't hesitate to take the K12 on a multi state trip again.

For the record, I'm 6-1 with a 32" inseam. I hope this helps and that others here chime in with their experiences.
Thank you. Yep, they really should include cruise control on all modern bikes of this type.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode