2008 K1200S purchase - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2016, 11:14 pm Thread Starter
Noob

2008 K1200S purchase

I recently purchased a 2008 K1200S, which is my first BMW motorcycle. I have been riding for 40 years on lots of other bike makes and models but have always wanted a K bike. Love the ride after just a few weeks of ownership but came off a sport touring bike with a more upright riding position. SO, a couple questions - do you recommend Heli bars as these look to be a good option? I am also thinking I would like to replace the stock can with a performance slip-on. I had a Two Bros on my Triumph and am thinking this would also be a good choice for my K bike. By the way, I found this 2008 with less than 6,000 km so I am excited about future riding. I am new to this site and thanks for your comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2016, 5:51 pm

Congrats on your first BMW! I have a '06 I bought used and came with a Two Bros' exhaust installed. It was too friggin' loud though so I switched to a Leo Vince and love it. Perhaps others here can chime in with suggestions for bar risers.

Regards,
Randy
'02 RT nacht black
'05 Ducati ST3 black
'06 K12S bumble bee
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2016, 7:01 pm
Noob

Congrats on bike.I have a Remus exhaust on my 06 and its a little loud but nothing earth shattering.
Heli bars would be great but new cables probably have to be installed to make up the length.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2016, 10:36 pm
Noob

Welcome Bobby, a little late to post, sorry for that--but if you're still checking the thread, I'd recommend just living with it.

Any mods you made will definitely change what "the designers" intended. A laminar lip? Takes the pressure of the wind off your shoulders and make it harder to live with the ergos of the bike. Heli bars? Change the same dynamic and keep you more upright, and out of the clean air you get above the stock windscreen. New exhaust? Why? Bike doesn't sound delicious as it is? Not fast enough?

All questions that could have a yes to them. Me? A bike like this is great as is. It's supposed to be experienced as it sits.

There are other bikes that do other things.

[IMG]Untitled by W M, on Flickr[/IMG]
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2016, 6:23 pm
Noob

noobbie 2

Hi,, I too just purchased my first bmw bike... why did I wait so long??? .. 08 k12s, and I too would like a wee bit higher / heli/ bars.. but not thrilled with lines, bleeding and dealer $$, . Am going to try adjusting it a little more.. but info greatly appreciated..

wrt exhaust.. mine came with Remus.. great but tad loud,, not for me.. for neighbours..shooting them or moving not an option at this point in time..

Last edited by hotviggen; Sep 9th, 2016 at 6:24 pm. Reason: want email notifications
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2016, 6:17 pm
Noob

me too! :)

I also recently picked up a 2007 K1200S with less than 4000 on it... it seems very quiet in the DC traffic, so I was thinking maybe a TwoBros with a P1x in it...

but for now, I'm just gonna ride. Weather is coming around to my kinda temperatures.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2016, 2:59 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by donm View Post
I recently purchased a 2008 K1200S, which is my first BMW motorcycle. I have been riding for 40 years on lots of other bike makes and models but have always wanted a K bike. Love the ride after just a few weeks of ownership but came off a sport touring bike with a more upright riding position. SO, a couple questions - do you recommend Heli bars as these look to be a good option? I am also thinking I would like to replace the stock can with a performance slip-on. I had a Two Bros on my Triumph and am thinking this would also be a good choice for my K bike. By the way, I found this 2008 with less than 6,000 km so I am excited about future riding. I am new to this site and thanks for your comments.
I'm up on a 198 K1200RS and simply love the riding position. Bars are factory adjustable and screen is just right.

How much more aggressive is the riding position of the K1200S over the K1200RS? ie: saddle, bars, pegs?

I'm fairly old. That being said, I find the K1200RS the best riding position for a sports bike I have ever had. (I have had a Honda 929, Kaw ZX1100 and now have a Honda ST1100 + the K1200RS.

I think the K1200RS is the best riding position for (older, less limber) folks.

So I love the riding position of the K1200RS. How am I going to feel on the K1200S?

The K1200S would be yet another bike in the stable. I'm keeping the K1200RS.

Thanks, CK

Last edited by Clarkkent; Oct 22nd, 2016 at 3:01 pm. Reason: adding
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2016, 4:09 pm
Noob

I just moved into the BMW line.. also a 2008 k1200s,, the helibars I added make a difference and stock lines didn't need replacing for longer ones..
As for the remus,, I have one too.. but someone took out the baffle.. I got a new baffle from remus.. hope it quiets it down.. seems I have touchy neighbours
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2016, 4:15 pm
Noob

Question rear rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill View Post
Welcome Bobby, a little late to post, sorry for that--but if you're still checking the thread, I'd recommend just living with it.

Any mods you made will definitely change what "the designers" intended. A laminar lip? Takes the pressure of the wind off your shoulders and make it harder to live with the ergos of the bike. Heli bars? Change the same dynamic and keep you more upright, and out of the clean air you get above the stock windscreen. New exhaust? Why? Bike doesn't sound delicious as it is? Not fast enough?

All questions that could have a yes to them. Me? A bike like this is great as is. It's supposed to be experienced as it sits.

There are other bikes that do other things.

[IMG]Untitled by W M, on Flickr[/IMG]
Hi MoBill.. Very interested . at what It appears to be a rear rack on the k1200s,, if it is.. where did you get it.. and if it is the factory acc. one.. does it supply much space.. any chance a backrest could be fabbed for the pillion
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2017, 11:19 am
Noob

I have a Two Brothers pipe available, with insert, if you are interested. I live in Falls Church.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode