Tank Bags for the S - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2005, 7:23 pm Thread Starter

Tank Bags for the S

You should consider this tank bag if you are looking for a smaller, less intrusive tank bag than BMW's K1200S standard bag (- Part number: 71607691516) and BMW's K1200S tank bag without Navigator (- Part number: 71607691391):

Consider BMW's tank pouch for the K1200LT.

It is perfect for day trips, handy for storing your wallet, cell phone, house keys, and other items you want at easy access. It has a map pocket and rain fly and is very easy to take on and off. With minimal mods/ Velcro you can fit it to the Airbox/ Battery cover.

BMW of Santa Cruz has it as Part number: 71602342670 for $95.00.

I have both bags - BMW's K1200S tank bag without Navigator and the K1200LT tank pouch. I find the K1200S tank bag interfers with my arms and chest when I am riding. I've modified the bag mounts to move the bag forward and out of the way. But it is not a perfect solution.

The K1200LT tank pouch is perfect. It does not interfer with my riding. It is large enough to carry my cell phone, sun glasses, Plexus, first-aid kit with room to spare. And I can tuck my Garmin ETrex Vista in the map pocket. A rain fly is provided that gives full visability to the map pocket and makes it waterproof.

Its definately worth checking out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank Bag 1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	84   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank Bag 2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	85  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2005, 4:00 am

Wee bag...

I bought the large K1200S tank bag when I bought the bike in July and have ben very please with it. I used it in the expanded mode when I was aborad but at home I usually use it in its smaller mode for carrying the items you describe. Obviously even in its reduced mode there is plenty room to spare. I am interested in the pouch option as I have opted to leave the tankbag at home and just wear a "bum-bag" containing my sunglasses, a chamois for cleaning the visor, mobile phone, etc.

How doe the KLT pouch secure to your K1200S... does it use the KS mountings?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2005, 10:13 pm Thread Starter

I have also put away my standard bag for now. The standard bag will be great for a weekend trip sans hard bags.

You can easily attach the smaller tank pouch to the air box / battery cover via Velcro straps / adhesive strips:

- Sew Velcro straps at each corner of the pouch
- Attach two Velcro straps at the leading edge of the air box / battery cover by securing them below the cover using the two cover screws
- Affix the two Velcro adhesive strips provided by BMW with the pouch to the trailing corners of the air box / battery cover.

And your done! One-hour tops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2005, 11:02 pm
Enthusiast

Guys, if you already know this, I apologize. I'm not a shill for Big Mac, but the Big Mac Air Tankbag (cyclegadgets.com) is a good piece of gear. The mounting bracket keeps it free of the paint and you can easily flip it out of the way when refueling. They sell four or five sizes, and I have the second smallest. It's still plenty big for the stuff I carry: cellphone, iPOD, Mixi-It2, chargers and adapters, sunglasses, etc. I used to have the BMW tankbag but I didn't like the mounting straps rubbing against the paint.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2005, 11:17 pm

Regarding the Big Mac bag. Do you have it mounted on the K1200S? It looks like a great product but I would want to know that it fits the S. The new S is not listed in their application chart.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2005, 11:44 pm
Enthusiast

Yes. I originally had it on my KGT, and when I sold the GT I sold the BMW tankbag along with it and kept the Big Mac 'cuz it's cleaner. The mounting bracket of the Big Mac mounts on the ring of the gas tank cover. Although it was designed for the KGT, it's a perfect fit on the S. And I can still see the GPS, which I have mounted with Gadget Guy's mount centered on my handlebars. If you need a picture let me know.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2005, 12:10 am

Bigmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconrad
Yes. I originally had it on my KGT, and when I sold the GT I sold the BMW tankbag along with it and kept the Big Mac 'cuz it's cleaner. The mounting bracket of the Big Mac mounts on the ring of the gas tank cover. Although it was designed for the KGT, it's a perfect fit on the S. And I can still see the GPS, which I have mounted with Gadget Guy's mount centered on my handlebars. If you need a picture let me know.
Is the gas tank ring/cover the same on KS/KR? I'm ordering my KR soon. I like the looks and concept of this bag.Good engineering. A picture would be great.

Lcgio
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2005, 12:17 am
Enthusiast

I'll try to post a picture in the next day or so. I don't know about the R, I only know the S and the KGT and KRS have the same holes. I doubt the R is different, but the dealer could tell you. Cycle Gadgets is a good company, and I'm sure they'd give you a refund if you weren't happy.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2005, 10:09 am

Another alternative is revpack which oddly enough is
cheaper from Aerostich than the mfg

http://www.aerostich.com/product.php...cat=278&page=1

Sure, the mounting isn't that elegant but it is secure, does not move around
even at high speeds at the track and won't scratch the paint with that big -ass
foam pad either.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2005, 10:29 am

I have always hated the on/off routine of a bag at the pump. The Big Mac looks like a good solution.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode