Oil Level after being "laid down" - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2016, 6:48 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Oil Level after being "laid down"

I've checked all the forums & this one seems to be the proper one for this question.
So anyway.......after washing my '06 K1200S I have it back in the garage and have it on the center stand "dolly" and rotating it to get it "nose out". The dolly hits a small "nib" of concrete on the garage floor and down it goes!! I couldn't get it "righted" and had to go get a neighbor to help.
He and I got it back up. It was "down" approx. 10-15 minutes on its right side. There was no oil puddle/drips on the floor. After getting it back up on the center stand I checked the oil level sight tube and the level is about an inch below the MIN level mark on the tube. Being very paranoid about the "health" of my bike I'm not sure what to do about this.
Can one of our more experienced riders here shed some light on what I should do next?

Many thanks,
Klumsy Klutz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2016, 1:37 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
it is a dry sump engine, which when shut off about a quart plus of oil drains back into the engine crankcase from the oil tank.

If you washed the bike, it probably had enough time to drain out of the tank into the crankcase.

If you have no oil puddles on the floor, today, the oil is still in the engine/oil tank.

The oil level check requires you to run the engine about a minute to pump the oil back into the tank before you check it. (check owners manual)

Go ahead and start it up, you may get some blue smoke out the exhaust in that first minute, than shut it down and check oil level.

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2016, 2:56 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Exactly.
It was a 50 degree day. Engine ran long enough to get it out in front of the garage. After the wash, long enough to get it back into the garage. Called a dealer service shop the next morning and he warned that starting it up might "Hydro-Lock" the pistons with any oil that had seeped into the cylinders. I probably hadn't done a good enough job explaining that the bike was "cold". He suggested pulling the plugs and pumping the oil out.

Anyway, I "fired-it-up" and idled it up to op temp. Voila! Oil level came back up to mid-point where it had been before.

Moral of story: If using a "Park-and Move" center stand dolly make sure you're on a smooth garage floor and move s-l-o-w-l-y.

If anyone's looking for me I'll be out in the garage laying down some of that two-part epoxy for concrete floors. Thanks again for the reply.

Sincerely,
Check-Six
PTSD Survivor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode