ABS Pump - electrical schematics (non servo) - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2016, 2:27 pm Thread Starter
Noob

ABS Pump - electrical schematics (non servo)

Hi. I have researched the forum to find some info about ABS problems. Thank you all - very useful stuff. Sounds like I have a problem, which may turn out to be quite common. ABS motor brushes sticking. I have a solid brakes failure light constantly on. The brakes seem to work as well as they did before (I have the non servo btw). I'm guessing that the pump only kicks in when I lock one of the wheels? Or does it help to spread the breaking force between front and back? I have honestly not noticed any reduction in brake performance.
Is the bike safe to ride? It is the end of the season and I finally have some more time, and I'm just pissed off that it happened now! I'm rather reluctant to take it anywhere until I find some reassurance.
The GS-911 says that I have no power to the pump and that the pump motor is defective. The following codes are displayed :24048 & 24049.
I'd like to check the voltage myself, but I can't find schematics anywhere. They seem to be encrypted, unusable and rare like gold The thing is that humans can still find that gold right? There must be someone out there how can show a helping hand huh?
I would greatly appreciate as I just need to know where and what to measure.

PS. Robber Dealers has estimated the abs pump replacement - 1300 POUNDS!! I cannot afford it at the moment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2016, 1:04 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Come on guys...

Anyone?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2016, 7:17 pm
Noob

Your faulty ABS

I had a K1200GT with same problem that I fixed myself.
I now have a K1300S
Will contact you offline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 7:36 pm
Noob

Garage
Do you still have the schematics that you sent to Crank..... I believe I have similar issues with my 2007 K1200 GT
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2018, 10:15 pm
Addict

Basic primer: On the non-servo (2007+) system the pump motor turns on if ABS is activated, or when the front brake is applied (when the front brake is applied tho motor is used to generate pressure to activate the rear brake, in order to provide linked braking.) You can test this by placing the bike on the centerstand, turning the key to the run position, then spinning the rear wheel by hand and applying the front brake -- you should hear the pump motor run for a few seconds and the rear wheel will stop. If not, and you have a brake failure warning light then you probably have sticking brushes... very common. You can confirm with a GS911 if available, you'll see a 'low voltage' or' pump motor circuit' ABS fault.

There are instructions available online to disassemble the motor from the valve module in order to repair. Many just free up the brushes and reassemble, but it's almost guaranteed any quickie repair method will only result in your having to do it all over again a few months later (if it lasts that long.) The only proper repair involves gaining full access to the brush baseplate and it's necessary to remove the pressed-on bearing and alter the brushes in order to do the job properly, so it gets a little complicated. So your two choices are either the Full Monty in your home shop, or send it to Module Masters where for $250 they will do a proper repair/rebuild and provide a 5-year warranty. I guess there's the third option of taking it to your dealer, but the absurd repair cost is impractical.

Removing and replacing the ABS module isn't difficult, but a GS911 is required to properly bleed the ABS unit after installation since it will be dry. I've read that some manage to bleed the unit by activating ABS on the road, bleeding, and repeating many times but that sounds like a royal PITA. Better to borrow a GS911 if you don't have one.

In the meantime you can ride the bike safely, you just won't have linked braking or ABS.

Last edited by smiller; Jun 24th, 2018 at 10:23 pm.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2018, 4:43 pm
Noob

Garage
Your information explains why I, like Crank, still have brakes but also the red "Brake Failure" message. Helps me to better to understand what I am dealing with. Thank you for replying.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode