sound level of stock exhaust - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:20 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

sound level of stock exhaust

I am posting first time. I ride Kawasaki ZZR1200. My wife says it is loud and she can tell when I come home by its deep vibrating sound a few minutes before I arrive, although it has stock exhaust and I always try to keep rpm as low as possible when I ride through my neighbourhood. I am wondering how quiet K1200S is with stock exhaust amoparing to ZZR1200 or BMW boxer like R1200ST. I have just stood by a few times R1150RS or R1200L went in a close distance and I felt they were quiet. I have not seen K1200S running so far. I went to the open house of BMW dealer recently but unfortunately weather was very bad and no test riding on that day. I mostly ride early morning in weekend, because this is only time that i have to ride. I do not wnat to bother other people who are enjoying late weekend morning in bed. I would appreciate any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:59 pm
Addict

Have found the stock K1200S as one of the most pleasing stock notes around. Deep, low, not too loud. But these things are often in the mind of the beholder. Could drop by the nearest dealer and they'd be happy to let you hear it, if not give you the keys for a spin.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2006, 7:46 am
Addict

Having come off a ZZR1200 before buying the K1200S, I can say that both are about the same db levels in stock form. Th S may be a tad bit louder when you romp down on it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2006, 2:11 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Thank you for reply, sfarson and sportrider. I will plan to visit a dealer sometime soon.
-sportrider, how do you compare S and ZZR overall? I am pretty much satisfied with performance of ZZR in stock form. But S looks good and I hear latest version is smooth and powerful. ESA and ABS seem attractive, too. I need justification (not for me) to change my bike if it is not quieter than ZZR.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2006, 8:13 pm
Addict

Well, how's this...it ain't worth it. Keep the ZZR.

If the BMW would have been perfect, then yes, it's worth the $7-$8k difference, but to be honest it's not.

I've got too much money invested in the K1200S to get rid of it, but the Germans need to get the fuel management issue, bad clutches, clunky transmissions fixed before they are worth the money imho.

I expected more...

p.s. I'm Ga_BMW_Rider on zzr1200.net

Last edited by sportrider; May 4th, 2006 at 8:38 pm.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2006, 10:39 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

I appreciate your honest opinion.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2006, 6:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider
Having come off a ZZR1200 before buying the K1200S, I can say that both are about the same db levels in stock form. Th S may be a tad bit louder when you romp down on it.
Ditto.

BMW K1200S
BMW HP2 Sport
Yamaha WR 250
www.bbot.co.uk
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2006, 6:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider
Well, how's this...it ain't worth it. Keep the ZZR.

If the BMW would have been perfect, then yes, it's worth the $7-$8k difference, but to be honest it's not.

I've got too much money invested in the K1200S to get rid of it, but the Germans need to get the fuel management issue, bad clutches, clunky transmissions fixed before they are worth the money imho.

I expected more...

p.s. I'm Ga_BMW_Rider on zzr1200.net
Hey Ga_BMW_Rider

Haven't you had the version 6 software upgrade yet. I thought the S was fine after 5.1 but 6 takes it to another level.

Objectively I think you are right about whether the S is worth the additional money over a ZZR 1200. Subjectively to me it's worth it.

regards

Welshman

BMW K1200S
BMW HP2 Sport
Yamaha WR 250
www.bbot.co.uk
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2006, 6:23 am
Addict

Version 6 was loaded yesterday...hence my negative remarks.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2006, 6:45 pm
Addict

I too owned the ZZR1200 immediately before buying the S last year. I like the quality control better on the S...the paint and hardware are superior to the ZZR BUT is it worth the $8K difference? I was for me...and I was rewarded with SUPERIOR performance as well. It handles better, has alot more punch in the mid range where I ride and offers panniers! Besides...these BMW folks have a better web site too!
Pete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode