Software update glitch? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2005, 11:17 am Thread Starter

Question Software update glitch?

I recently had a software update applied to my K12S. I believe it only affected the ZFE (body module?) and it seems to have negatively affected the way an external battery charger works.

Prior to the update I was able to plug in my CAN-bus aware BMW charger in to the accessory socket on the K12 and it would start charging and sequence through all four charging stages, lighting the appropriate LED status lights on the charger. Depending on battery state, this could take several hours. When it got to the last stage it would remain there, providing the maintenance or float charge.

After the software update if I plug in the charger as before none of the status lights on the charger will come on and the red emergency flasher light on the left hand grip will blink about once every 2 or three seconds. If I turn the ignition on and then plug in the charger and then turn off the ignition OR plug in the charger then turn the ignition on and then off the charger will start functioning normally and the red light on the left hand grip will stay illuminated. However, sometime after the charger reaches the last stage (not sure how long as I didn't catch it) all the charger status lights go off and the red light on the left grip goes back to blinking. When all the status lights are off and the red light on the left grip is flashing the battery is NOT being maintained!

So, with this update, your battery charger will run through one charge cycle and then shut off. Your battery will not be on a maintenance or float charge. I measured the battery voltage during the above test and can confirm that the charger shuts off, never to come back on unless you turn the ignition on and then off again, and then you only get one charge cycle again.

Anyone else with a late softare update observe this? I'll try to report back with the software update version number when I speak to my dealer when they open tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2005, 12:01 pm

Which Version ?

Tony

I have been awaiting the Version 5.01, as it had been said it would replace Version 5.00.
Do you know which one they up-dated Your bike with ??
(Sorry, I cant recal the p/n's of these Versions, maybe we are lucky: ..Do you remember ManfredH))
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2005, 12:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOCUS
Tony

I have been awaiting the Version 5.01, as it had been said it would replace Version 5.00.
Do you know which one they up-dated Your bike with ??
(Sorry, I cant recal the p/n's of these Versions, maybe we are lucky: ..Do you remember ManfredH))
Locus,

That's the number I hope to come up with tomorrow. I thought I was getting a V5.xx update for the engine management (bms-k ?) but like I mentioned I only got a ZFE (?) update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2005, 1:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyeknott
I only got a ZFE (?) update.
"ZFE" means "Zentrale Fahrzeugelektronik" (= central vehicle electronic).

Engine update with version K024-05-02-510 is only to be prgrammed if the release on the bike ("I_STUFE_HO" showed by the CT1 tester) is one on of the following:
K024-03-10-500
... -03-10-510
... -04-03-500
... -04-07-500
... -04-11-500
... -04-11-510
... -04-11-520
... -04-11-530

Manfred
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2005, 1:33 am

Thanks Manfred, that was what I was ment....
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2005, 4:57 pm

Smile

Like your system, my battery charger cuts off and the Emergency Switch ( the "ES") light flashes every two-to-three seconds when the battery reaches full charge.

I assume, and it is a big assumption that:

1. The ZFE interupts the Auxillary Power Outlet (the "APO") when the battery is fully charged, and causes the ES to flash
2. The Special BMW Battery Charger (the "SBMWBC") seems to recognize the interuption and stops sending a charging current
3. The ZFE continues to monitor the battery charge level
4. The ZFE activates the APO when the battery needs a top-up and the ES goes on
5. The SBMWBC recognizes the battery state when the APO is activated
6. The SBMWBC goes through its four-stages of charging again
7. And the ZFE repeats the process when the battery is fully charged.

My observations:

The APO is active when the ES light is on continuously. And when the APO is disconnected, the ES light is off.

The SBMWBC indicates a charge only when plugged into the APO and the ES light is on. If the ES light is off the charge LED's go out.

Conclusion:

SBMWBC+APO+ZFE+ES+LED+ON is good.

SBMWBC+APO+ZFE+ES+LED+OFF is bad.

SBMWBC+APO+ZFE+ES+LED+FLASH is doubtful.

SBMWBCAPOZFEESLEDONOFFFLASH is I do not know.

a very confused KPower.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 10:36 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPower
4. The ZFE activates the APO when the battery needs a top-up and the ES goes on
5. The SBMWBC recognizes the battery state when the APO is activated
6. The SBMWBC goes through its four-stages of charging again
7. And the ZFE repeats the process when the battery is fully charged.
That is what I thought too. I did a 10 hour test where I placed a 16.9-ohm load on the battery after the "SBMWC" went through all four charging stages and shut off. This put a load on the battery that was slightly below what the charger is capable of putting out. After the 10 hours the battery was down to 11.48 volts and the charger never did come back on. So much for maintaining your battery during long time storage.

I tried the same charger on both the R1200RT and R1200GS. The charger went through all four stages and stayed at the last one at the end of the charge cycle. And all I had to do was plug the charger in to the "APO". No fiddling with the ignition key on either of these two bikes, contrary to what the owner's manual says.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 8:57 pm

Interesting results.

I will ask the service manager at John Valk BMW tomorrow and report back to you.

Regards,
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 7:53 pm

Rusty at John Valk BMW is waiting for BMW Canada to give him an answer. We may have request the information from the Fatherland.

Rusty has experienced the same issue with a K1200R that is being stored at the dealership. Like us, the battery charger cuts-off and the red light on the bar flashes every two-to-three seconds when the battery reaches full charge. And it appears that the charger never comes on again.

I will post an update when I hear from Rusty.

Regards,
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2005, 7:47 pm Thread Starter

Here's an update to the battery charger observations on my K12S. My K12S firmware update brought me up to version K024-05-02-510.

I left the charger on the R12GS for several days. During that time I saw the charger change back to the third charger state (2/3 or amber LED) from the fourth state on three occassions, each time returning back to stage 4. So it seems that on the R12GS, and I assume also on the R12RT, that the charger is working as we would expect it. On the K12S, with this firmware update, it goes into a coma, never to awake!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode